SAU Community

Fuse blowing when turning car off

lukini

Started my car last week and almost all of my electronics wouldn't work, so I suspected the fusible link. The battery was relocated to the trunk in Japan (professionally by a shop). When they did that, they replaced the fusible link with a couple things.  There is a 30A fuse at the front where the battery was and there is a 200A 32V fuse on the positive wire right off the battery.  The 30A up front blew, so I replaced that and drove just fine. However, when I turned the car off, the lights went off. Checked the fuse and it blew again.  I haven't tried since, but I'd expect it to happen again.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the electronics of 90s Japanese cars, but I guess I'll be learning now.  Hopefully I can answer questions if there are any.

Nothing has been done to the car recently other than timing belt and water pump.

It might also be worth noting that the first blown fuse happened just with me backing out of the garage to work on some drywall, so the only movements/vibrations would be from idling.

I pulled out the head unit since it was the last change to the electrical system like 4 months ago and gave it another try with a new fuse.  Same issue.  However, I actually looked at the fuse this time and it blows on ignition.  All the electronics stay on until the engine is off.  So I guess the fuse holds on long enough for the alternator and then blows?  Goes to show how little I know about this car's electronics.

Edited by lukini
said something dumb