SAU Community

98 ER34 skyline 25GT

looking for a LSD 1.5 way for a stock 98 25GT skyline, any suggestions or anyone have one installed, likes and dislikes, better to go aftermarket or source a complete rear diff from a GTT?

Keep in mind the GT has a S15 rear end, so if you do get a diff, you want one that suits a S15.

In regards to Nismo, I kept digging - It seems the one I have is a 1.5 way, but acts like a 2 way. This is because when people say "1.5 way" Nismo diffs they actually mean the Nismo 1 way diff.

Or you could get a S15 Helical. General consensus is stay away from Viscous, and you'd have a hard time finding one for a S15 anyway.

so since this rear diff in the car is the stock gt version would it be considered the "open type" diff?

so this would be compatible? doesn't list r34?

I have emailed 8 different performance places that sell lsd, but none really can tell me what the car has. (had same issue with getting proper coilovers for a 98 er34 25gt)

would some part of the vin tell me exactly what the rear is?

https://www.ebay.com/i/372958523222?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372958523222&targetid=4580840327039639&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=301076556&mkgroupid=1235851265215130&rlsatarget=pla-4580840327039639&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=3401dc74086f178299f382b3e5315970

Edited by JC71

You have an open diff. It is a normal R200. I suspect that it has 3x2 stub axles, not the 5 bolters on the turbos. This is important, because when you buy a Nismo diff, you have to get the one to suit YOUR CHASSIS, because you need the stubs to match.

It is not hard to find a search result for a mechanical LSD to suit an NA R34.

You do not want a 2-way Nismo for the street.

sounds like general consensus is that the stock GTT LSD aren't that great and an aftermarket setup would be best. this will be primarily for drift setup, little street use, so would a 2 way still not be the way to go?

8 hours ago, JC71 said:

sounds like general consensus is that the stock GTT LSD aren't that great and an aftermarket setup would be best. this will be primarily for drift setup, little street use, so would a 2 way still not be the way to go?

Nismo 2 ways are really a 1.5 way, and their 1.5 way is really a 1 way.

In any case, remember you want S15 gear.

Yes, everyone goes aftermarket with the odd exception. My "2/1.5" way Nismo was admittedly pretty amazing to slide around on like a dickhead when ... testing. I'd say buy it, but it fits a R34 Turbo and will not fit your car as you need a S15 'compatible' diff center.

6 hours ago, JC71 said:

any reason I should get a  GTT rear diff and put in a aftermarket LSD instead, of putting a aftermarket LSD into my GT rear diff?

No. No reason at all. Unless you like wasting money. Just buy a new centre to suit the open diff.

The differences are in the half shafts. They are all different lengths between the different standard diff types. Open = different lengths to VLSD = different lengths to the GTR mechanical LSD. So when you buy a Kaaz or Giken or Cusco centre for an open diff, it is slightly different to the same diff intended to replace a VLSD centre, because the splines are located differently. The new centre has to work with the half shaft lengths that you have.