SAU Community

Lightweight forged wheels r33 gts25t

I recently bought some rota grid wheels for my r33, I noticed when fitting them they were pretty heavy and not to sure I'm happy with them for that fact. 

I do like the way they look though. I heard te37s are similar weight. 

Are their many 18" wheels that are under 10kg and forged, I've seen rpf1s are fairly light. 

How much does it really matter? I heard unsprung mass makes a big difference, car does feel down on power a bit. 

Rotas are about 12 - 12.5kg per wheel for a 10"

I have Rays CeRT's and are 9.1kg for 10.5", some other wheel weights are attached

if your not racing for 10ths or 100ths of seconds it wont make any difference 

its also what $1200 for new rotas vs $3000 + for good light forged rims

Im at a decent level of time attack and for what its worth my second best time by only 100th sec was done on 11kg rims vs 9 kg rims no other differences

*note Weds are forged either but just fine

Wheel weights.jpg

Edited by bcozican

Unsprung weight matters. Rota wheels are not forged they are cast. That is not to say they are rubbish - they are extensively tested - but to make cast wheels as strong as forged wheels you need to use more metal.

Rays Volk make a variety of wheels but  genuine Te37s are forged. Its a more expensive process but makes for stronger wheels.

For the street your Rotas will probably be fine - there are lots around - but for serious track use people will probably pay more for forged wheels or even for wheels made of lighter metals.

• Like 1

RPF1s are some of the lightest wheels available that do not require you to surrender a kidney and one or more children.

But they are not forged. They are definitely not forged. And that makes their relative lightness even more impressive.

21 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

RPF1s are some of the lightest wheels available that do not require you to surrender a kidney and one or more children.

But they are not forged. They are definitely not forged. And that makes their relative lightness even more impressive.

Gone off them now, too many broken on evo forums