SAU Community

2002 M35 250 RS Questions .

M35.Groot

Hi all first post so be gentle .

I have just acquired a 2002 250RS Turbo with 185,000 K's on it .

The car is bone stock apart from a blow off valve .

The car has the self closing tail gate [ an option I believe ] the pop up screen with Nav , no reversing camera and it has Hicas .

I have done a bit of reading [ mostly on here so thank you SAU ] and I have a list of things to get done .

1: unplug the Hicas at the back and then remove the warning bulb from the cluster .

As an add on to this I currently have no cracking in the rear at all and would like to keep it like that and it seems Hicas cars are more prone to it .

2:Fresh new full synthetic oil and filter , going to run a 10/40 and also have a Z179A filter which is bigger than the tiny Z436 so we will see if it fits as I have both .

I intend to see how quickly the oil darkens to decide how long I will run it , hoping to get 8000K's .

Not going to mention what brand as do not want to start an oil brand debate !!

Again from what I have read I have a mods list of must do things , I will be going through and doing all the fluids starting with the engine oil and filter today .

Intending to do the three banjo bolt mods as doing oil change anyway including dropping the sump to do the internal sump banjo bolts , it looks like the sump can be dropped without having to lift the engine...I hope .

Going to have a shot both ways and will drill it out to 2 mm , it seems that 3 mm might be a step too far .

It seems an engine oil cooler is a must .

I have a really nice ex V8 supercars cooler which will do just nicely !!

Any recommendations on brand of sandwich plate  ?

Also a transmission cooler is a must as well it seems and will do a flush and fill with Nulon full Synthetic .

Also on the list is one of Mr Star Treks coolant tap thingies , is he still in action ?

And also along those lines I will be trying to get a spare stock turbo to have it tickled by Mr Star Trek and have it ready to go , the car has done 185,000 K's and from what I can tell the turbo is fine .

This looks like being a bit exceptional as turbos fail normally sooner than that ???

I have already obtained a 350Z mid pipe so will be crawling under to make sure it swaps in as I have been led to believe ??

Will do a tail pipe at some time in the future but the intent is to keep mods mild .

I believe one part of the exhaust is quite restrictive so would like to know more about this.

My pol's for the long post but on a search for knowledge and please let me know if I've got anything not quite right !!

Welcome to the group!!!

The 350Z midpipe will be too short so you will need to weld on/bolt on an extension... It is the V35 Skyline 350GT Coupe that is a direct fit. The V35 sedan has the same massive unit that the M35 has so that is a no go...

If you want to disable the HiCas I think you need to do more than just pull the bulb. Something along the lines of a HiCas removal  kit or suchlike but I am not familiar with M35s.

Not sure you need an engine oil cooler but if you fit a trans oil cooler and leave it plumbed through the radiator that will provide a little extra cooling. If you do fit an engine oil cooler make sure your sandwich plate has a thermostat in it so your engine doesn't run cold all the time on short trips.

Unless you are in a really hot environment 5W 40 would be better. The weak spot of the VQ25 seems to be timing chain failure at about 200,000km and replacement is a massive job. I don't know how you prevent it but regular oil changes which you have planned should help.

Word , meant to say V35 mid pipe !!

Yep found out about the chain thing after a bought it...would still have bought it .

Chains are meant to be life of engine , why Nissan M35 only go 200,000 or so ?

Not worried about the job , used to run 2 x S3 RX7's with which I did all my own engine , gearbox and diff rebuilds .