SAU Community

Hormonic Balancer Bent, Should I Be Worried?

Hello! 

Lucky me, I’m mostly asking this question to see if I should stop driving my car or if it’s okay.  

As I was bringing the front of my car off the jack, the frame slipped, and my jack pushed my radiation up up up up and cracked my fiberglass hood. It also bent my harmonic balancer pulley on my RB25DET where the power steering belt goes just a little bit, looks more like a scrape but does have a little bit of a bend.

Should I be concerned about the pulley?

I have driven for a day, did a couple of highway pulls in 3rd, cruises, everything feels okay, maybe a little shaky but it could be my own paranoia! Haha. 

Thank you!

4A63A9E8-4AB1-45D1-A708-1313CCC73F3E.jpeg

32920DA5-9A29-4A7A-8518-5CA7AFF00743.jpeg

B385413A-712D-4777-A507-3538C4478760.jpeg

26 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I wouldn't be worried about that little bend much. I would be worried about what other effects there might have been from dropping the weight of the car onto the balancer/crank as a whole might have done.

Well, the radiator has a huge dent on the bottom where most of the weight went. Plus, my radiator has metal brackets at the top bolted to the chasis to keep it from moving so that also took some weight. 

I read online that 3rd gear carries the most load and if the hormonic balancer is bad then that’s when I would experience some symptoms buuuut everything seems fine. 

But yes, I suppose time will tell if something internally went wrong. I freakin hope not, I just rebuilt it! Yikes! 

1 hour ago, Eric0 said:

I read online that 3rd gear carries the most load and if the hormonic balancer is bad then that’s when I would experience some symptoms buuuut everything seems fine

What?

Or you could have done something bad to the front end. Loading it via the radiator will put unpleasant forces into the radiator support panel, which is not supposed to carry any actual loads. May have pulled the front ends of the chassis rails inwards.

Rev the car to 1500ish and look out for a wobble in the steering wheel and gear knob when stationary. The balancer wobble of death. You could try to fix it but pay close attention to the keyway on the crank snout. If you've damaged that no matter what you do it will always come back loose. Fingers crossed for you.

Edited by trel

I'd be removing the harmonic balancer and setting up a dial gauge and checking the crank snout for any run out.  Then throw the HB away and put a new one on just for peace of mind...damn sight cheaper than using it and waiting for/watching the action.

5 hours ago, trel said:

Rev the car to 1500ish and look out for a wobble in the steering wheel and gear knob when stationary. The balancer wobble of death. You could try to fix it but pay close attention to the keyway on the crank snout. If you've damaged that no matter what you do it will always come back loose. Fingers crossed for you.

I revved up my engine and the steering wheel doesn’t wobble at 1500+ just vibrates the same as if it was idling. 

On the shift knob, there’s more vibration there when the car is revved up but that might just be normal for my car. 

I decided to remove the engine and inspect the crank, bearing, and all that good stuff just to be sure. I’ll update this forum once I have more information about the damage or no damage. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, Eric0 said:

I decided to remove the engine and inspect the crank, bearing, and all that good stuff just to be sure. I’ll update this forum once I have more information about the damage or no damage. 

Okay! It’s been a few months and the car is back on the road! 

That accident I had completely threw the sixth beating out of line and was very quickly causing damage to the crank. 

it has been rebuilt again. :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1