SAU Community

High presure power steering line, rb25det c34 rs4 auto

TheKenso

16 hours ago, TheKenso said:

How so? They are strong and can withstand hige presure, as long as you buy the corekt hose :)

The price wil probebly be more expensive if ingo to somone ro make ir due to wher i live, alsow they most likly wont do it because it is car related and stearing related.

Massive pressure surges, coupled with heat. Not an ideal situation for AN style fittings. The issue is, in most situations the hose will be ok, you don't tend to load up a power steering rack too much in every day operation. But on the odd occasion, you might hold the steering on full lock for too long and the hose will let go. Or you might need to make a couple of sharp yanks on the steering wheel and you'll see momentary pressures over 3000psi. Hydraulic hoses will often be made with a crimp fitting that gets crimped on at over 15000psi - significantly better than an AN style compression fitting that bites down on an olive or cuts into the rubber hose at however much pressure you manage to put on it with a shifter...

I've had this conversation with so many guys at the track, and they always insist that 'we use this hose all the time and never had any issues' or 'the rep at the hose shop said it would be fine'. And so many times I've seen those cars going home early on a trailer because the power steering hose let go. 

Take it to a shop, get one made. Hydraulic hoses aren't expensive or hard to make, they just need to be done properly with the right equipment. The guys making those hoses aren't scared of making a power steering hose for a light vehicle, that's a walk in the park. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/06/2020 at 3:30 AM, Unzipped Composites said:

Massive pressure surges, coupled with heat. Not an ideal situation for AN style fittings. The issue is, in most situations the hose will be ok, you don't tend to load up a power steering rack too much in every day operation. But on the odd occasion, you might hold the steering on full lock for too long and the hose will let go. Or you might need to make a couple of sharp yanks on the steering wheel and you'll see momentary pressures over 3000psi. Hydraulic hoses will often be made with a crimp fitting that gets crimped on at over 15000psi - significantly better than an AN style compression fitting that bites down on an olive or cuts into the rubber hose at however much pressure you manage to put on it with a shifter...

I've had this conversation with so many guys at the track, and they always insist that 'we use this hose all the time and never had any issues' or 'the rep at the hose shop said it would be fine'. And so many times I've seen those cars going home early on a trailer because the power steering hose let go. 

Take it to a shop, get one made. Hydraulic hoses aren't expensive or hard to make, they just need to be done properly with the right equipment. The guys making those hoses aren't scared of making a power steering hose for a light vehicle, that's a walk in the park. 

Aah ivse, dident think ther was that mutch presure.

The problem i have is that we the repair shops dont do thus type of work unless its oem part, and the companies i jave spokento says no, itb mostly because we have regulations on what and who are alowed to work ok cars an be on cars, but gonna look around a bit more :)

thank for the info tho! And not just say "because i say so" ?