SAU Community

Battery required for bnr32. Which one?

Here's what I use on the 32 and 33 gtr. Supercharge MF40B20L Goldplus series is a good choice if you want to keep the standard size. I have to use a 40 in the 32 as I have too much shit around that area to run anything bigger. In my 33 it's a 55. The MF40B20L is 390cca and compact, this is the standard physical size for 32 and 33 GTR. The Century MF40 version by comparison is 330cca. MF55B24L is a better choice as they are 490cca, but they are wider. These seem to be my picks as they best available under $200.

After that you go all out with the Optima AGM Yellow tops. By far the best, but approaching $400. They are available at 700cca plus and people have reports of batteries lasting 7 years or more. I don't see the point as Supercharge Gold plus is 40 months no questions asked replacement warranty.

The MF40 is the standard factory size and MF55 is actually the Nissan cold weather pack upgrade size, hence why you can fit both. Same depth and height, just a 55 is wider as mentioned above. So if you can run at least a 55.

More importantly than any battery though is get a Ctek, especially if it is not a daily driven car, which is most GTRs. Need a good maintain charger.

• Like 1

@GTSBoyIs that true - as in outright replacement, or is it just the pro-rata

Complete replacement, as in within 40 months of purchase if it fails, full new battery on Gold Plus series. My old man even did one literally at about 39 months from purchase recently on the XR6. I can say I have done it about 3 times across all of my car's ever. The dealer stamps it on purchase, and they are very adamant about retaining and supplying your original receipt upon replacement, but apart from that, yeah no problemo. Sometimes they'll want it overnight to prove it, but if it is stuffed its stuffed and they'll see that.

Cool, you realise that it is the right positive terminal instead of the left, which is standard in a GTR ? It does have the correct small terminals though.

CCA is also 450 on a 38ah battery.

Does not sound like good value unless it does last you at least 5 -  6 years, as that is the price of 2 x MF55B24 with 490cca and 50ah. I am yet to justify the price of Optima. Happened to have this in the ute for reference:

IMG_20200530_175309_2.jpg

There is absolutely no question they are good, all the serious 4WD and off roader guys run them here. I just couldn't justify $300+ for 38ah and 450cca.

Post back in 5 years and see if it's still going strong ?

You really don't get what I'm saying do you ? 38ah is the smallest, most piss weak size battery for any car, regardless if it is a $100 or $1000 battery. As I said above 50 minimum is generally the go for any car now, and paying that much for such a small battery just seems silly. Anyway sounds like you went and got one so hope it lasts ok.

When people have been going through the trouble of going to an Optima yellow top they go for the big ones and make them fit for a massive increase in CCA and AH, or to mount them laying down as they are AGM. 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 3:58 PM, GTSBoy said:

NS70MF

650 CCA.

This is essentially the physically largest and largest capacity battery you can drop into the stock location.

image.thumb.png.2e8994f196a4965e93ab86c3655b1948.png

Hey if this is in your 32 , next time you need a battery the Supercharge Goldplus equivalent is the MF80D26. Same dimensions but 80AH and 720cca ?

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2020 at 2:48 PM, BK said:

Here's what I use on the 32 and 33 gtr. Supercharge MF40B20L Goldplus series is a good choice if you want to keep the standard size. I have to use a 40 in the 32 as I have too much shit around that area to run anything bigger. In my 33 it's a 55. The MF40B20L is 390cca and compact, this is the standard physical size for 32 and 33 GTR. The Century MF40 version by comparison is 330cca. MF55B24L is a better choice as they are 490cca, but they are wider. These seem to be my picks as they best available under $200.

After that you go all out with the Optima AGM Yellow tops. By far the best, but approaching $400. They are available at 700cca plus and people have reports of batteries lasting 7 years or more. I don't see the point as Supercharge Gold plus is 40 months no questions asked replacement warranty.

The MF40 is the standard factory size and MF55 is actually the Nissan cold weather pack upgrade size, hence why you can fit both. Same depth and height, just a 55 is wider as mentioned above. So if you can run at least a 55.

More importantly than any battery though is get a Ctek, especially if it is not a daily driven car, which is most GTRs. Need a good maintain charger.

Just an update, took your advice bk and went the supercharge gold plus? Starts awesome and very reasonable price. Went the 55B24.

On 30/05/2020 at 9:44 PM, BK said:

When people have been going through the trouble of going to an Optima yellow top they go for the big ones and make them fit for a massive increase in CCA and AH, or to mount them laying down as they are AGM. 

Hey Ben,

Awesome insight into the topic.

Quick question, what would be involved with swapping over to Optima Yellow?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...