SAU Community

KELFORd 246-b camshafts

Hi everyone a newbie to the forum striping down the r33 gtst for a fresh up and the fact I put a rod through the block didn’t help so thought I’ll get it built properly this time. just wondering if anyone has used Kelford’s 246-b cams don’t seem to be much on the web about them. I know they have 10mm lift a bit of machining is required and you can get springs from kelford to work with them that’s all I know any ideas of max rpm possible? Supporting mods so far are Fresh rb25 wc34 block which has Westwood cylinder liners fitted had oil returns drilled out 1mm, RB26 crank which has come back from machine shop lightened and balanced, king racing xp main and big end bearings, wiseco boostline rods, cp 86.5mm pistons, nitro oil pump, Nissan r33 gtr sump with hi octane wide wing sump extension, haven’t restricted block oil feed yet as not sure on hydraulic or solid lifters. Cylinder head so far rear oil drain, machined around oil galleries port and polish and that’s about it for now. billet intake manifold with 90mm throttle body’s haven’t decided on injector sizes yet exhaust manifold is t4 twin scroll twin wastegate with 2x tial 44mm wastegates planing on using a mamba FTC gt45r turbo with a/r 1.22 housing heard nothing but good vibes on them. Any feedback would be appreciated 

Max revs less a function of the cam itself and more a function of the hydraulic lifters.

The springs will "enable" more revs that the stock springs would, with these cams installed. The cams will flow more air above 7500 rpm than the stock cams will. So the head will want to run to higher rpm. It's just that the lifters are the same, and unless you put new ones in there their actual behaviour is hard to predict. With new lifters, because hydraulic, you'd probably not be looking to run more than 8000rpm anyway.

Thanks for reply 

8000 rpm is not a bad target I would put new lifters in as I’m going this far anyway. have you used these cams or know anybody that has. I’m toying with the idea of solid lifters but when I saw that Kelford did cams  with 10mm lift and keeping NVCS it got me thinking what’s your preferred option? Thanks Jason 

Lotsa $ to buy new hydraulic lifters. You need 24 of the buggers.

I have a Neo, so I am biased towards solid lifters. But it's also lotsa $ to go solids in a vanilla RB head. So you pick your poison.

I haven't used these cams, but Kelfords stuff in general is excellent. However, I don't know if it is worth the pain of the head clearancing work for just the little extra lift. If I was going to cut the lifter bores, I'd be wanting to do it for 10.5mm or more.