SAU Community

Replacing panel with VIN number on it

Hi people,

I have an R32 GTR that has been sitting since 2006. I’m about to start a resto on it. The panel where the blue I.D tag and the factory stamped vin will need to be replaced due to rust. The new panel will not have the vin stamp in it, will this cause issue with getting it rego again. I have all the sales invoices and old rego papers for it in my name.

I had this issue a few years ago with another 33 we had. VicRoads wouldn't register the car without the 6Uxxx number being stamped onto the strut tower so we went to an import yard who did it for us for $10. 

I don't have any experience in this, but I would suggest you make sure that you know what you need before you take that plate off. 

I would also suggest documenting it thoroughly (the removal and replacement) as potentially someone might spot it's changed or doesn't quite look right if you ever try to sell it. Interference with the VIN plate is a 100% walk away moment for me at the moment. 
My two cents... good luck!

Frenchy's performance make reproduction plates with all the original information on it, which can be obtained from Nissan fast. I've been thinking about doing one for my 33 as it looks like this, emailed them they said no problem. I even have new genuine plastic plate retainers purchased from Nissan.

Having a new vin plate is an easy fix too, can be any plate with the correct numbering riveted on. The most concerning thing is if your doing anything in the firewall with the original chassis number stamped into it. Without that intact, that is going to cause big problems, as there is no real way to verify what actual chassis and therefore vin it is. It would have to be restamped into firewall, and legally I don't know if you can just do that. This is what your going to have to check with the authorities on.

https://frenchysperformancegarage.com/collections/nissan-skyline-r32gt-r/products/blue-nissan-skyline-r32gt-r-id-plate

IMG_20200420_145526_0.jpg

Along with agreeing with the recommendations above to ask your local rego authority, I would do this.

Cut out original panel segment with the number stamped in it. Keep it.

Make new panel with same number stamped in it looking exactly the same as the Nissan stamps.

If anyone asks, show them the original panel and the photos of you cutting it out of the same car and holding it next to the new panel being welded in and the photos of you holding it next to the new stamps being done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BK said:

Frenchy's performance make reproduction plates with all the original information on it, which can be obtained from Nissan fast. I've been thinking about doing one for my 33 as it looks like this, emailed them they said no problem. I even have new genuine plastic plate retainers purchased from Nissan.

Having a new vin plate is an easy fix too, can be any plate with the correct numbering riveted on. The most concerning thing is if your doing anything in the firewall with the original chassis number stamped into it. Without that intact, that is going to cause big problems, as there is no real way to verify what actual chassis and therefore vin it is. It would have to be restamped into firewall, and legally I don't know if you can just do that. This is what your going to have to check with the authorities on.

https://frenchysperformancegarage.com/collections/nissan-skyline-r32gt-r/products/blue-nissan-skyline-r32gt-r-id-plate

IMG_20200420_145526_0.jpg

I’m definitely getting 1 of these from Frenchys. I didn’t know anyone was reproducing them

9 hours ago, Steve85 said:

I don't have any experience in this, but I would suggest you make sure that you know what you need before you take that plate off. 

I would also suggest documenting it thoroughly (the removal and replacement) as potentially someone might spot it's changed or doesn't quite look right if you ever try to sell it. Interference with the VIN plate is a 100% walk away moment for me at the moment. 
My two cents... good luck!

I sure plan on doing lots of homework before cutting anything. It’s my car and I’m ow it’s not dodgy but I’m still freaked out doing it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Along with agreeing with the recommendations above to ask your local rego authority, I would do this.

Cut out original panel segment with the number stamped in it. Keep it.

Make new panel with same number stamped in it looking exactly the same as the Nissan stamps.

If anyone asks, show them the original panel and the photos of you cutting it out of the same car and holding it next to the new panel being welded in and the photos of you holding it next to the new stamps being done.

This was a thought but I don’t think stamping it yourself is aloud with the authorities. But I will ask the question and the other issue is you can’t buy stamps in that font and size. These would have to be made and they would be expensive to do so.

9 hours ago, trel said:

I had this issue a few years ago with another 33 we had. VicRoads wouldn't register the car without the 6Uxxx number being stamped onto the strut tower so we went to an import yard who did it for us for $10. 

I know a few importers through work so I will ask if this is something they can offer.