SAU Community

Engine wont turn off

colata

Hello all!

After removing my immobiliser and swapping out a faulty HEC, im now left with a car that starts, runs fine but won't cut the ignition signal when the key is removed / ignition barrel is disconnected from the loom.

When the battery has been disconnected THEN reconnected, i have no voltage coming from wire 3 (ignition wire) when probing (with the harness connected, as expected.) However, when the ignition is switched on (by turning the key in the barrel) the signal is closed and the circuit is complete, but it will not open the circuit when the key is switched back to off and even when the circuit is opened by removing the ignition barrel harness. This circuit will remain complete until either the battery is disconnected, or the IGN-1 relay is removed from the HEC unit.

I was originally under the impression it was a short to voltage, but when i realised it only occurs once the barrel has been turned and not so much as soon as the harness is connected to the battery i'm stumped.

I've tried identifying any relays installed complimentary to the immobiliser, but can't find anything hidden up under the dash or in the engine bay, any help or pointers is appreciated and ill attach the relevant diagrams, including a complete body and engine harness diagram as a pdf.

any pointers and help is appreciated! thanks for your time!

HEC UNIT B.png

r31_service_manual_ti_diagram.pdf

The ECCS (or whatever the primitive equivalent is, given that it appears you're talking about an R31) relay is activated by the ECU when the ECU gets power from the ignition, and is held on by the ECU for a short time after power is removed from the ignition. The ECCS relay keeps the ECU powered up. If the output of the ECCS relay is cross-wired over onto the ignition circuit, then it will also keep ignition on after the ignition is turned off, until all power is killed by a battery disconnect or fuse pull.

I would look for something like that as a consequence of the immobiliser having bee installed in a weird way, or removed (by you) in a bad way.

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

The ECCS (or whatever the primitive equivalent is, given that it appears you're talking about an R31) relay is activated by the ECU when the ECU gets power from the ignition, and is held on by the ECU for a short time after power is removed from the ignition. The ECCS relay keeps the ECU powered up. If the output of the ECCS relay is cross-wired over onto the ignition circuit, then it will also keep ignition on after the ignition is turned off, until all power is killed by a battery disconnect or fuse pull.

I would look for something like that as a consequence of the immobiliser having bee installed in a weird way, or removed (by you) in a bad way.

Thanks for the info! Will investigate today and backtrack what was touched in the removal of the immobiliser and see what I find! Thanks! :) 

I’ve found now that the symptom persists only when fuse 12 of of the HEC unit is present, which must have been completing the IGN-1 relay control, but I’m unaware of where it goes too. The diagram suggests it’s for the “Eng Cont” but I’ll backtrack it and re-post an update on why I believe it was malfunctioning, but for now leaving that fuse out, the car starts, runs and turns off as expected.