SAU Community

Evo 9 or r32gtr

Hey guys , newbie here.

ive always wanted an r32 gtr and now that I’m in the market to get one I’ve realised how much the prices have gone up specially considering their 30+ yr old cars. I’ve been comparing them to an evo 9 and the evo 9 seems to be more valuable being cheaper and younger. But my heart is still telling me to go with an r32. If I was to get an r32 I’d import it. So my question is which is a better overall car, the evo 9 or the r32gtr ?

Id personally go with an evo 9 (ive owned a 7 before). i'd be terrified driving a GTR around as a daily knowing how much they go for, plus you'd never really be able to leave it anywhere without the fear of it being stolen. That also applied to evo's too - they get stolen all the time in cities!

2 minutes ago, DaymoR32 said:

Id personally go with an evo 9 (ive owned a 7 before). i'd be terrified driving a GTR around as a daily knowing how much they go for, plus you'd never really be able to leave it anywhere without the fear of it being stolen. That also applied to evo's too - they get stolen all the time in cities!

Yea I can imagine, but that aside In terms of just handling, mpg and driving - which is a better car to own?

well, to be fair, my back to back experience is as race cars not dailys....but....

Evo

-less care if you scratch it/ someone runs into you

-4 doors, higher seating / more practical

GTR

-do you trust it not to walk from a carpark these days (no immobiliser unless you've added one, much more tempting to people)

-generally poorer on fuel, more expensive to maintain (parts etc)

-larger/lower car is less practical in traffic

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

well, to be fair, my back to back experience is as race cars not dailys....but....

Evo

-less care if you scratch it/ someone runs into you

-4 doors, higher seating / more practical

GTR

-do you trust it not to walk from a carpark these days (no immobiliser unless you've added one, much more tempting to people)

-generally poorer on fuel, more expensive to maintain (parts etc)

-larger/lower car is less practical in traffic

Ahh yea but I still want a gtr so badly hmm

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

fking A. they are awesome. Not the fastest, most comfortable, most convenient or cheapest.  But I love giving the thing a good trashing, it's way more fun than a dirty evo

Yea for sure, only thing that makes me slightly worried is the age of them though

If you want a GTR badly, get a Prius as a daily and the GT-R as a weekend car. The reality is that an R32 GTR has an extremely weak chassis, even before we even talk about how half of these cars coming from Japan have compromised structural integrity from rust. I've seen too many GTR wrecks to consider driving one as a daily, any frontal offset or side impact collision is basically guaranteed to collapse the floor pan underneath you and force the dash into your face. You'll be lucky to walk away intact as a person after they cut you out of the car. That's not even considering that the type of insurance you want for driving this car is going to be an agreed value policy, maybe in Australia/NZ they have no issue covering 12,000 km per year but most insurers in the US will refuse to cover you if that's the kind of usage/mileage you want to do. Also consider the running costs. Unless you're willing to put up like 4.5 million yen on a total restoration of the car you're going to be regularly spending a lot of money fixing things as they break, especially if you're counting on it to get to places with any regularity. Stuff like heater core hoses, heater core leaks, that's the kind of thing that is extremely labor intensive to do with the engine in the car. You can buy a car with all of this already done but it's going to be more than the market average.

On top of that you have the issues everyone else mentioned like fuel economy, the ease with which these things are stolen and cut in half to get shipped to the US for parts, the realities of daily driving like endless door dings, trolley taps, rock chips, windscreen cracking, people keying your car because you're driving something nicer than a beat to hell Prius, etc...

I'm not trying to tell you to not buy an R32 GTR. If you are sure you want one and you've done your research/test drives then you should do it. But these cars aren't daily drivers anymore.

Obviously your risk tolerance may be different from mine. Some people are fine with driving a 90s Corolla/Camry forever and an R32 is pretty comparable in that regard, the numbers are just bigger.

36 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

If you want a GTR badly, get a Prius as a daily and the GT-R as a weekend car. The reality is that an R32 GTR has an extremely weak chassis, even before we even talk about how half of these cars coming from Japan have compromised structural integrity from rust. I've seen too many GTR wrecks to consider driving one as a daily, any frontal offset or side impact collision is basically guaranteed to collapse the floor pan underneath you and force the dash into your face. You'll be lucky to walk away intact as a person after they cut you out of the car. That's not even considering that the type of insurance you want for driving this car is going to be an agreed value policy, maybe in Australia/NZ they have no issue covering 12,000 km per year but most insurers in the US will refuse to cover you if that's the kind of usage/mileage you want to do. Also consider the running costs. Unless you're willing to put up like 4.5 million yen on a total restoration of the car you're going to be regularly spending a lot of money fixing things as they break, especially if you're counting on it to get to places with any regularity. Stuff like heater core hoses, heater core leaks, that's the kind of thing that is extremely labor intensive to do with the engine in the car. You can buy a car with all of this already done but it's going to be more than the market average.

On top of that you have the issues everyone else mentioned like fuel economy, the ease with which these things are stolen and cut in half to get shipped to the US for parts, the realities of daily driving like endless door dings, trolley taps, rock chips, windscreen cracking, people keying your car because you're driving something nicer than a beat to hell Prius, etc...

I'm not trying to tell you to not buy an R32 GTR. If you are sure you want one and you've done your research/test drives then you should do it. But these cars aren't daily drivers anymore.

Obviously your risk tolerance may be different from mine. Some people are fine with driving a 90s Corolla/Camry forever and an R32 is pretty comparable in that regard, the numbers are just bigger.

But dream car tho

haha yea that is why I’m heavily considering the evo over the gtr

4 minutes ago, Brago97 said:

But dream car tho

haha yea that is why I’m heavily considering the evo over the gtr

Are Evos any cheaper? Fuel economy on both are pretty terrible. If you don't need the GTR for commuting because you take public transit/bike/walk it's much more viable to use it as your only car. But I really don't recommend either the Evo or the GT-R as a commuter.

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I would go Evo 9 for these reasons:

• Faster
  • Safer
  • Handles better
  • Can make it go around a track fast cheaper & easier than a GT-R
  • Doesn't have cooling issues like a Skyline

But I still own a Skyline, because I am an idiot.

But looks wise goes to the gtr ;)