SAU Community

Evo 9 or r32gtr

4 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

Are Evos any cheaper? Fuel economy on both are pretty terrible. If you don't need the GTR for commuting because you take public transit/bike/walk it's much more viable to use it as your only car. But I really don't recommend either the Evo or the GT-R as a commuter.

The r32s here in aus are like 60-70k. Not sure if their any cheaper by importing though. Evos are around 30-40k

60-70k AUD is a good price if it's in good condition. The Evo is the objectively better car, interior might be a bit cheaper but it can't be far off. Only reason to pick a GTR is the inline 6 and driving feel, the Evo is never going to be the hooning type of car, the AWD system is a lot more neutral with either a bit of understeer or a bit of oversteer. The R32 will oversteer quite a lot at lower speeds, especially if your g sensor/ATTESA actuator/transfercase are tired.

• Thanks 1

The rules for GTR ownership have always been the same. If you think you can afford to buy one, double that value number and then think again. Because every GTR has the potential to cost you double what you paid for it in the first few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I would go Evo 9 for these reasons:

• Faster
  • Safer
  • Handles better
  • Can make it go around a track fast cheaper & easier than a GT-R
  • Doesn't have cooling issues like a Skyline

But I still own a Skyline, because I am an idiot.

pretty much any time I talk about the process to get one of these cars and my experience with the process thus far I feel like I have brain damage if I'm honest

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

well, to be fair, my back to back experience is as race cars not dailys....but....

Evo

-less care if you scratch it/ someone runs into you

-4 doors, higher seating / more practical

GTR

-do you trust it not to walk from a carpark these days (no immobiliser unless you've added one, much more tempting to people)

-generally poorer on fuel, more expensive to maintain (parts etc)

-larger/lower car is less practical in traffic

Why would you care less about the Evo being scratched or crashed than the GTR if either car is your pride and joy?  ?

Obviously you can expect this kind of reply in a Skyline forum probably asking in the wrong place lol. 

Stock for Stock an Evo 9 is absolute world's ahead of a GTR in every aspect. Obviously its a much smarter, high tech engine and driveline that is not from the Jurassic period like an RB26 and it's Landcruiser AWD setup.

The GTR/RB26 is a lethargic nugget on the street. (Sorry guys but it is)  It has tall ratio gears, it makes f**k all torque down low thanks to it's short stroke, laggy turbos, low compression motor and short runner intake manifold.

Don't get me wrong I love GTR's and I have driven MANY in every capacity available with all of the usual twin turbo options and also in many popular single turbo options  I've also driven them almost every gearbox option available from stock 5/6 speeds, gearsets & sequentials.

There's no denying the soundtrack an RB makes compared to a 4G . A GTR requires seriously large amounts of $$$ to make them street friendly. Don't expect to keep up with "modern commuter cars" in traffic in a 5 speed RB26 lol unless your foot is buried into the carpet and you're above 5000rpm.

IMO the only way a GTR can be appreciated properly is in spirited hills runs or on the track.

The evo on the other hand is the opposite world of a GTR, it's super responsive, it's torquey down low, it has short gearing to make it feel very Zingy on the street ,there's really no comparison between the 2 ( realistic you can't compare) as there's well over a decade of tech and engineering in the Evo over the R32.

Evo has far superior handling over a GTR. Yes this is subjective as alot of blokes love the RWD feel the GTR gives but it has nowhere near the grip or agility of an Evo. The Stock turbo on the Evo even to this day 1 of the best setups on a car to date. Its capable of 270kw on E85 with almost N/A like response.

It's really quite hard to beat on the street & because it has short gearing and killer response you don't have to be doing 5000+ rpm with long gears which means higher speeds to actually enjoy the power like a GTR. 

I obviously love my evo and I love GTR's and they may look similar on paper but both cars couldn't be further apart when you drive them back to back. 

Obviously the solution is drive both cars and see what you like the feel Of most! 

Awaiting flames.... ???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I would go Evo 9 for these reasons:

• Faster
  • Safer
  • Handles better
  • Can make it go around a track fast cheaper & easier than a GT-R
  • Doesn't have cooling issues like a Skyline
  • Doesn't have oil control issues like RB

But I still own a Skyline, because I am an idiot.

FYP.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mick_o said:

Why would you care less about the Evo being scratched or crashed than the GTR if either car is your pride and joy?  ?

Obviously you can expect this kind of reply in a Skyline forum probably asking in the wrong place lol. 

Stock for Stock an Evo 9 is absolute world's ahead of a GTR in every aspect. Obviously its a much smarter, high tech engine and driveline that is not from the Jurassic period like an RB26 and it's Landcruiser AWD setup.

The GTR/RB26 is a lethargic nugget on the street. (Sorry guys but it is)  It has tall ratio gears, it makes f**k all torque down low thanks to it's short stroke, laggy turbos, low compression motor and short runner intake manifold.

Don't get me wrong I love GTR's and I have driven MANY in every capacity available with all of the usual twin turbo options and also in many popular single turbo options  I've also driven them almost every gearbox option available from stock 5/6 speeds, gearsets & sequentials.

There's no denying the soundtrack an RB makes compared to a 4G . A GTR requires seriously large amounts of $$$ to make them street friendly. Don't expect to keep up with "modern commuter cars" in traffic in a 5 speed RB26 lol unless your foot is buried into the carpet and you're above 5000rpm.

IMO the only way a GTR can be appreciated properly is in spirited hills runs or on the track.

The evo on the other hand is the opposite world of a GTR, it's super responsive, it's torquey down low, it has short gearing to make it feel very Zingy on the street ,there's really no comparison between the 2 ( realistic you can't compare) as there's well over a decade of tech and engineering in the Evo over the R32.

Evo has far superior handling over a GTR. Yes this is subjective as alot of blokes love the RWD feel the GTR gives but it has nowhere near the grip or agility of an Evo. The Stock turbo on the Evo even to this day 1 of the best setups on a car to date. Its capable of 270kw on E85 with almost N/A like response.

It's really quite hard to beat on the street & because it has short gearing and killer response you don't have to be doing 5000+ rpm with long gears which means higher speeds to actually enjoy the power like a GTR. 

I obviously love my evo and I love GTR's and they may look similar on paper but both cars couldn't be further apart when you drive them back to back. 

Obviously the solution is drive both cars and see what you like the feel Of most! 

Awaiting flames.... ???

Man this was the answer I needed. Thanks for that, definitely swaying me more in the direction of the evo now

The main question is....do you like driving something that sounds like a tractor?

I wouldn't buy an Evo for that reason alone. The other reasons include the fact that it's just a bloody Lancer to look at. Doesn't matter how much vented bonnet-xenon-light-flared guards-Enkeis-carbonfibre they have strapped on them. They're just a Lancer like all the Lancers with fake Evo stuff strapped on. Recaros don't make the interior nice. They're nice seats, but they don't make the interiror a nice place to be. (Not that I'm suggesting that an R32 is a nice place to be either. We're talking the same vintage as VN Commodore here. The interior plastics On R32s were always nothing special, and now they're 30 years old, to boot.).

For Evo money there are dozens of cars that I would choose instead. Almost all of them V8. Some of them even German - and I do not really want a Euro car. Certain Ford Focii are a definite blast to drive, for example.

For GTR money, I would find myself hard pressed not to look to an RX7. And that's with me not knowing the first thing about keeping a rotary alive. But S6-8 RXs are bloody awesome. Also stupid money, but we're talking about deliberately buying a GTR at this point, so I refuse to concede to logic on this.

For GTR money.....suitably depreciated options include Mustangs. Totally left field, and a bit of a minefield to pick through the various things to avoid (and the problem of looking like a Mustang owner). But still..... the car would only be a few years old.

AMGs have superchargers. I just thought that I'd mention that.

• Haha 1

If this were me. I'd be looking for the cheapest regoed sh*tbox i can find, something you are a little familiar with in terms of mechanical ability (for me that's 90s Nissans). For example in your situation i'd be searching for a 90s Pulsar or even a Tiida if price allows.

THEN go out hang with some Evo or GTR people and see if you can scrape some rides in them, maybe even a drive. 

If you're planning on dailying this new car, i feel like you're gonna have a bad time. As mentioned above, both are highly sought after by car thieves, both will pull the attention of police if you drive them with intent they were made for.

A daily means you can save your fun car for fun times and it won't wear you down as it cracks the shits with it's cooling/oil problems/geabox issues or in the case of the Evo cooking it's own engine bay electronics.

But for me there's only one test. Imagine your driveway. Which makes you feel better seeing it sitting there? That's the car to buy.
Also... just an FYI, listening to strangers on the internet doesn't always help. ? Just go and do it, get yourself into financial/mechanical trouble then come back so we can help you out! 

6 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

If this were me. I'd be looking for the cheapest regoed sh*tbox i can find, something you are a little familiar with in terms of mechanical ability (for me that's 90s Nissans). For example in your situation i'd be searching for a 90s Pulsar or even a Tiida if price allows.

THEN go out hang with some Evo or GTR people and see if you can scrape some rides in them, maybe even a drive. 

If you're planning on dailying this new car, i feel like you're gonna have a bad time. As mentioned above, both are highly sought after by car thieves, both will pull the attention of police if you drive them with intent they were made for.

A daily means you can save your fun car for fun times and it won't wear you down as it cracks the shits with it's cooling/oil problems/geabox issues or in the case of the Evo cooking it's own engine bay electronics.

But for me there's only one test. Imagine your driveway. Which makes you feel better seeing it sitting there? That's the car to buy.
Also... just an FYI, listening to strangers on the internet doesn't always help. ? Just go and do it, get yourself into financial/mechanical trouble then come back so we can help you out! 

Haha from what I’ve read , the gtr is definitely more costly to maintain and run but I’ve imagine seeing her in my driveway for a long time ?

• Like 1

I think claiming the RB26 is some lag monster compared to a 4G63 is probably overstating things a little bit. I buy that argument with the 4B11T which is a much more modern engine design. Compression ratio on a 4G63, even in the Evo 9, is barely better than what the RB26 shipped with. Run a touch thinner head gasket on the RB26 and you're already at 8.7:1. The biggest advantage is that Mitsubishi shipped intake side VVT, Nissan didn't bother to ship it on the RB26.

Speaking of VVT, anyone know if PRP is actually going to make a double VCAM setup? I'm guessing it's going to take a substantial amount of work for benefits that most people don't really understand. That would make for a substantially more responsive RB though.

8 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

But it's not, even a non MIVEC 4G63T will spool up the same size turbo on a RB26 earlier.

That's pretty surprising, I would figure that the RB26 would at least do better iso-power due to the extra displacement. Curious to see what data you have there.

Not my experience stock for stock. GTR shipped with 2 tiny turbos but 12psi boost. The apparent difference in response is due to lower gearing and 50% higher boost stock in the evo.  GTR was build to be modified for group A with mid 80s tech, while the Evo is better balanced stock

8 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

That's pretty surprising, I would figure that the RB26 would at least do better iso-power due to the extra displacement. Curious to see what data you have there.

I personally don't have any data however if you follow Benny from  Benchmark, he pretty much straps like for like turbos onto an 4G63T and they come on earlier when compared to a RB26.

Remember the big stroke of the 4G63T at 88mm versus the pussy stroke of the RB26 at 73.7mm, thus you need to rev the living daylights out of a RB where as you don't with a 4G63T.

57 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

But it's not, even a non MIVEC 4G63T will spool up the same size turbo on a RB26 earlier.

Shhh, the mericans are going to start buying up all the evos in the world.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steve85 said:

The man speaks the truth.

The best way to own a GTR or even an Emo is to have it as a second car.  Why?

Because when it is broken you can get to work.

When it is being upgraded/worked on you can get to work.

When you are at work it is not stuck in a carpark and generally deteriorating from UV/panel dings/ whatever else happens when youa rent looking.

You wont put a million miles on the the clock (Guessing you didnt search for GTR's with 200,000kms+ on the odometer - no one does)

Insurance is serious money for such a car and they will be delighted (or not) to hear about the modifications you have made.

Cops are far less likely to pull over an AU Falcon than an R32.

So go buy a daily you can stomach and hate that.  So when you get to drive your GTR/Emo it will be because you want to.  It will probably work out cheaper anyway.

• Like 1