SAU Community

Evo 9 or r32gtr

19 minutes ago, djr81 said:

The man speaks the truth.

The best way to own a GTR or even an Emo is to have it as a second car.  Why?

Because when it is broken you can get to work.

When it is being upgraded/worked on you can get to work.

When you are at work it is not stuck in a carpark and generally deteriorating from UV/panel dings/ whatever else happens when youa rent looking.

You wont put a million miles on the the clock (Guessing you didnt search for GTR's with 200,000kms+ on the odometer - no one does)

Insurance is serious money for such a car and they will be delighted (or not) to hear about the modifications you have made.

Cops are far less likely to pull over an AU Falcon than an R32.

So go buy a daily you can stomach and hate that.  So when you get to drive your GTR/Emo it will be because you want to.  It will probably work out cheaper anyway.

Ok but which would be the better overall car to own though? I heard the r32 would cost a lot more to maintain/ mod and its older than the evo so its not mechanically as good

4 minutes ago, Brago97 said:

Ok but which would be the better overall car to own though? I heard the r32 would cost a lot more to maintain/ mod and its older than the evo so its not mechanically as good

Only you can decide which is "better". What do you want and why?

1 minute ago, joshuaho96 said:

Only you can decide which is "better". What do you want 

7 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

Only you can decide which is "better". What do you want and why?

Reliability and maintenance costs

Just now, Brago97 said:

Reliability and maintenance costs

If your goal is reliability and low running costs then it's definitely the Evo. The GTR tax is real, even more so than an Evo. Also the GTR is substantially more complicated which leads to unreliability when combined with poor maintenance/general neglect. I will say if running costs are a big concern don't try and go for a lot of power on either of these cars, that's a recipe for a lot of headaches. Modding a car is a lot of thinking, research, and testing. If you're not interested in that I would pass.

47 minutes ago, Brago97 said:

The newer car will almost always be better, whatever better is.

But just buy whatever your heart tells you to, it is not a rational decision after all.

Cars dont cost anything to modify if you dont modify them.

Hell I am currently looking for an XE Falcon and I can promise you it is not because I think they are a good car.  Or a fast car. Or a safe car. Or because they come with a good warranty. Or are easy to maintain/modify. I just want some L Jetronic drag plate air flow meter goodness in my life.

36 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

If your goal is reliability and low running costs then it's definitely the Evo. The GTR tax is real, even more so than an Evo. Also the GTR is substantially more complicated which leads to unreliability when combined with poor maintenance/general neglect. I will say if running costs are a big concern don't try and go for a lot of power on either of these cars, that's a recipe for a lot of headaches. Modding a car is a lot of thinking, research, and testing. If you're not interested in that I would pass.

I wouldn’t be trynna squeeze every last hp out of them it would just be a slight tune and some tasteful mods. But that being said, there’s a 12 year age gap between the gtr and Evo and as much as I want to own a gtr I don’t wanna constantly deal with the older mechanics of the gtr constantly breaking down etc even if I were to service it regularly (every 5000kms) 

14 minutes ago, Brago97 said:

I wouldn’t be trynna squeeze every last hp out of them it would just be a slight tune and some tasteful mods. But that being said, there’s a 12 year age gap between the gtr and Evo and as much as I want to own a gtr I don’t wanna constantly deal with the older mechanics of the gtr constantly breaking down etc even if I were to service it regularly (every 5000kms) 

They dont mechanically break down for want of servicing.  Hell, mechanically my 32 has been reliable.

But what typically happens is random stuff stops working.  So the aircon stops working because the soldered joints in the door actuators age and crack. Or the boots on the cv joints split, or the power steering starts leaking because the hose is old and tired or the seats start to fall apart.  Basically old car problems becasue its an old car.

They are all fixable with enough time/money but no way would you put up with that on a car you needed every day of the week.

Ok, having read the thread, sounds like you’re heart is set on a GTR, my advice, choose carefully, get the right one, one that looks like it’s been maintained to a decent standard. My last GTR was a daily, yes that was 15/20 years ago, yes it did spend a substantial amount of time in my garage in pieces, yes I did eventually concede and buy a cheap runabout, but when it was going, it was unreal, nothing like what these guys are saying, yes, the car isn’t the ‘perfect’ street car, but it’s the little things that you will fall in love with. 
Today I own a fairly extensively modified R 32 Gtr, and yes, it spends more time at the workshop then st home, but it’s never left me on the side of the road. 
mots like any other car, you look after it, and there is no reason it can’t be a reliable daily, the problem is when the bug hits and you decide...a little more boost would be nice, what do I need to do to turn it up? 
new turbos, injectors, fuel pump, oh look at that, R35 coil packs, catch can? Boost controller, ecu, should I go haltec or motec? Clutch, gearbox, I hear the Quaife front diff is really good, headstuds, drop in cams are nice, oh I just want to replace these couple of pieces of interior trim! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

your wallet will never be the same, can you resist the temptation??? Not many have unfortunately. 
when I bought my current GTR it was perfect, in my eyes. Didn’t need a cent spent on it! Well you can pm me and I’ll let you know how much I’ve spent on it in the last 2 years, and it’s not even close to finish! Lol

but do I regret it, NO WAY! 
buy the GTR! 

79A8A148-89EB-4659-8E47-F1134A0F608B.jpeg

Edited by Old man 32 GTR
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

Ok, having read the thread, sounds like you’re heart is set on a GTR, my advice, choose carefully, get the right one, one that looks like it’s been maintained to a decent standard. My last GTR was a daily, yes that was 15/20 years ago, yes it did spend a substantial amount of time in my garage in pieces, yes I did eventually concede and buy a cheap runabout, but when it was going, it was unreal, nothing like what these guys are saying, yes, the car isn’t the ‘perfect’ street car, but it’s the little things that you will fall in love with. 
Today I own a fairly extensively modified R 32 Gtr, and yes, it spends more time at the workshop then st home, but it’s never left me on the side of the road. 
mots like any other car, you look after it, and there is no reason it can’t be a reliable daily, the problem is when the bug hits and you decide...a little more boost would be nice, what do I need to do to turn it up? 
new turbos, injectors, fuel pump, oh look at that, R35 coil packs, catch can? Boost controller, ecu, should I go haltec or motec? Clutch, gearbox, I hear the Quaife front diff is really good, headstuds, drop in cams are nice, oh I just want to replace these couple of pieces of interior trim! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

your wallet will never be the same, can you resist the temptation??? Not many have unfortunately. 
when I bought my current GTR it was perfect, in my eyes. Didn’t need a cent spent on it! Well you can pm me and I’ll let you know how much I’ve spent on it in the last 2 years, and it’s not even close to finish! Lol

but do I regret it, NO WAY! 
buy the GTR! 

79A8A148-89EB-4659-8E47-F1134A0F608B.jpeg

Damn it! ?

After reading all of this thread I can understand your thought process. Do I jump in now and get one before they go up more? Can I afforded to repair? Etc etc. this was me 2 years ago. I got a 32 as a weekender. I have found the costs are generally me wanting to upgrade things( rotors,pad,turbos) etc which aren’t necessary really. The problem is 32’s are so awesome to drive you get a bug to want to make them faster.?

It actually cost bigger all if it’s a weekender. Vic clubbies are like $100 a year. Insurance had jumped heaps now for a GTR. I personally will never daily mine and I suggest no one would these days. 

That said... an Evo will never be a GTR. End of story. Keep saving your pennies and get a GTR?

35D4B8DB-EB48-403A-9AB3-3D20BE303258.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Matty George said:

After reading all of this thread I can understand your thought process. Do I jump in now and get one before they go up more? Can I afforded to repair? Etc etc. this was me 2 years ago. I got a 32 as a weekender. I have found the costs are generally me wanting to upgrade things( rotors,pad,turbos) etc which aren’t necessary really. The problem is 32’s are so awesome to drive you get a bug to want to make them faster.?

It actually cost bigger all if it’s a weekender. Vic clubbies are like $100 a year. Insurance had jumped heaps now for a GTR. I personally will never daily mine and I suggest no one would these days. 

That said... an Evo will never be a GTR. End of story. Keep saving your pennies and get a GTR?

35D4B8DB-EB48-403A-9AB3-3D20BE303258.jpeg

Honestly the prices are getting so ridiculous and I’m not keen to see how much more they’ll go up in the years to come

7 hours ago, Brago97 said:

Haha from what I’ve read , the gtr is definitely more costly to maintain and run but I’ve imagine seeing her in my driveway for a long time ?

Well in that case, my advice to you; Do it. Get a GTR while you are in the position to do so. Get the right one though, take your time (not too long though) and get a good one or at least a mediocre one. The difference between good/mediocre and rubbish is considerable and you will spend the difference on a crappy one trying to repair it. You might manage to save 15k in the buying process, but I 100% gaurantee that you'll spend that on improvements or worst a new engine or gearbox (or maybe both).

Chants: One of Us! One of Us! One of Us!!!

20 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Well in that case, my advice to you; Do it. Get a GTR while you are in the position to do so. Get the right one though, take your time (not too long though) and get a good one or at least a mediocre one. The difference between good/mediocre and rubbish is considerable and you will spend the difference on a crappy one trying to repair it. You might manage to save 15k in the buying process, but I 100% gaurantee that you'll spend that on improvements or worst a new engine or gearbox (or maybe both).

Chants: One of Us! One of Us! One of Us!!!

Would it be cheaper and more value to import one?

24 minutes ago, Brago97 said:

to import one?

From where?

I think I recall telling you that there aren't really any still in the wild. All the ones in Japan were bought up by speculators and Americans until they could bring them in under the 25 yr rule.

16 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

From where?

I think I recall telling you that there aren't really any still in the wild. All the ones in Japan were bought up by speculators and Americans until they could bring them in under the 25 yr rule.

I was looking through Tokyo auditions last night, r32 GTR’s were going for around 30k Australian, obviously I’m not 100% on the condition, but they looked ok in the photos, there were quite a few coming up for auction so surely it wouldn’t be impossible to get your hands on one?