SAU Community

Evo 9 or r32gtr

3 minutes ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

I was looking through Tokyo auditions last night, r32 GTR’s were going for around 30k Australian, obviously I’m not 100% on the condition, but they looked ok in the photos, there were quite a few coming up for auction so surely it wouldn’t be impossible to get your hands on one? 

30k? That’s more than half of how much their going for local which is around 60-70k daamn

2 hours ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

I was looking through Tokyo auditions last night, r32 GTR’s were going for around 30k Australian, obviously I’m not 100% on the condition, but they looked ok in the photos, there were quite a few coming up for auction so surely it wouldn’t be impossible to get your hands on one? 

You mean those 480p photos taken from 20+ feet away with zero underbody shots? Many of those have severe issues, you can't just go by the auction report and expect to get something in decent shape. I would not expect to pay less than 50k AUD.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

You mean those 480p photos taken from 20+ feet away with zero underbody shots? Many of those have severe issues, you can't just go by the auction report and expect to get something in decent shape. I would not expect to pay less than 50k AUD.

Like I said, just going by the photos, yes they could be rubbish, but still worth a look . I noticed most of them were 94’s, some had re-trimmed interiors, just about all of them had bubbles in the dash, but surely there has to be the odd, half decent one?? 

32 minutes ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

Like I said, just going by the photos, yes they could be rubbish, but still worth a look . I noticed most of them were 94’s, some had re-trimmed interiors, just about all of them had bubbles in the dash, but surely there has to be the odd, half decent one??

Why do you think they are still for sale? I'd be hesitant to buy one even if I could be there to inspect it myself.

Someone will eventually be buying all these cars. But at the prices that they are being passed in at (and maybe occasionally bought at) at auction in JP, they represent significant risk. They will be less risky if the price of known good 32 goes substantially higher than it is now, or if they are sold at somewhat lower prices. The big problem is that any car that has quite substantial problems needs a lot of additional cash thrown at it to turn it into the GTR that people actually want. A GTR with a stuffed transfer case, or munted interior, or crushed chassis rails, or rust, or 50 psi compression, or stuffed paint (or any of the dozen other things that could very easily and expensively be wrong) will require parts and work that are continually getting harder to find and pay for.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Why do you think they are still for sale? I'd be hesitant to buy one even if I could be there to inspect it myself.

The ones I looked at were going to auction, the sold ones were on a recently sold list? I’m not saying this is the answer, just an option a potential buyer could look into. 

Even if they end up 30k in auction by the time you ship it, pay duties and taxes, comply it and pay rego and etc you’re basically at double the original price 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

The ones I looked at were going to auction, the sold ones were on a recently sold list? I’m not saying this is the answer, just an option a potential buyer could look into. 

It's definitely an option, Brave Auto and Pacific Coast are supposedly good brokers. You do an inspection before bidding, then bid. If you get the car, do another full PPI after buying it. If it's good ship it out, otherwise put it back up for auction and hope for the best. Not for the faint of heart though, you need to put up like 4-5M yen at a moment's notice. I bought a car sight unseen with a friend paid to PPI it and I still was extremely jittery about it.

Edited by joshuaho96

On 17/06/2020 at 12:30 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Also the GTR is substantially more complicated

That statement is completely wrong! A GTR is a walk in the park when comparing the 2 unfortunately. 

Sadly the longer a GTR has lived in Japan the more chance it's been driven in the snow more and has more rust, more salt all over it. Unless you can inspect it in the flesh I'd be very reluctant to buy 1. 

I've seen a car brought here as a grade 4.5 from a broker who is regarded as the best on this Forum and I can assure you he should have his ass handed to him for the price the customer paid and the actual condition the car was in. 

When I say this I genuinely mean if he said to me "here's yours $70K S2 R33 GTR grade 4.5"

My response would have been "ok quit playing guys where's my car?!" 

Like I'm talking legal action bad.. There's no way I would have accepted the car. 

Edited by Mick_o

On 18/06/2020 at 8:42 PM, r32-25t said:

Even if they end up 30k in auction by the time you ship it, pay duties and taxes, comply it and pay rego and etc you’re basically at double the original price 

That M4 sounding like a bargain now compared to a R32 GT-R ?

5 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

No thanks by the time m4s get to 30 years old they will all be gone after everyone get sick of fixing electrical gremlins and suspension failures

LOL you always get so worked up with euro cars haha...

BTW the older E36 and E46 M3s are slowly creeping up in value, I'm thinking of getting one.

53 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

BTW the older E36 and E46 M3s are slowly creeping up in value, I'm thinking of getting one.

My crystal ball sees many spun bearings in your future.

On 16/06/2020 at 3:40 PM, Brago97 said:

It would be my only car for now

Evo you can daily without alot of risk

R32 GTR, yeah nah, as a daily risk is x 1 million

I wish I got a EVO X instead of my old 2015 STI 

Meh, good luck with your hunting.

• Like 1