SAU Community

few general questions

All, 

I have painted over years but with minimal knowledge so I am trying to up my knowledge.

here are my qestions:

paint procedure is as follow with points needed to be done on each stage, is that correct ?

1. Primer( if bare metal) or grit 1500 to create area for paint to stick if there is already paint. This will be 1 to 2 coat. one needs to wait 24 hours before going from primer to sanding to doing base coat.

2.Base coat, 2 to 3 coat. some say 4 to 5 coat which ?
Waiting around 15 mins after each coat.

3. top coat, I don't really understand what this is, what is the top layer?

4.laccuqer or clear coat , 3 to 4 coat. around 15 to 20 mins after each coat 

5.polish 

temperature is what is I have in garage which is around 15 to 20 degree.

I have painted a metalic car using above and paint is sort of matt , is there specific laquer to be used with metallic?

After the first coat you give it a sand and hollows etc will show up  for you to fill. Top coat is the last coat. Laquer is for show cars...shows up every deficiency in the metal.  Requires many coats. Enamel is easier and more forgiving.

8 hours ago, drifter17a said:

When you say sand with 600?

would you fill hollow with bonding compound or next layer of paint

Depends on how deep the hollows - there is a special spray on stuff you can apply locally.  Have done some painting but I'm no expert ...have a look at the pros on YouTube.  Also you can get free advice from the auto paint shops.

10 hours ago, drifter17a said:

would you fill hollow with bonding compound or next layer of paint

You don't bog on top of paint. If you haven't flattened the panel enough prior to primer, then any low spots need more high fill primer.

On 17/06/2020 at 3:29 AM, drifter17a said:

All, 

I have painted over years but with minimal knowledge so I am trying to up my knowledge.

here are my qestions:

paint procedure is as follow with points needed to be done on each stage, is that correct ?

1. Primer( if bare metal) or grit 1500 to create area for paint to stick if there is already paint. This will be 1 to 2 coat. one needs to wait 24 hours before going from primer to sanding to doing base coat.

2.Base coat, 2 to 3 coat. some say 4 to 5 coat which ?
Waiting around 15 mins after each coat.

3. top coat, I don't really understand what this is, what is the top layer?

4.laccuqer or clear coat , 3 to 4 coat. around 15 to 20 mins after each coat 

5.polish 

temperature is what is I have in garage which is around 15 to 20 degree.

I have painted a metalic car using above and paint is sort of matt , is there specific laquer to be used with metallic?

hi mate,

some paints require a Ground Coat which is usually the metallic colours. just double check if you need this or not.

I wouldn't fill the minor scratches with bog.. just use primer filler or a spray putty.

just to make it clear. will you be using acrylic paint or twopac? I would not recommend using two pac paint in a garage as you need a proper booth. with acrylic you can get away spraying your car in your garage and depending on the coverage I would personally put on 3-5 coats and 3-4 coats of clear on top. 

Also, with acrylic paint, you need to wait for to paint to cure for couple of days, wet sand and and cut and polish after.

Thanks bud

would ground coat be same as the first wet laquer before base coat, seen that on youtube and didn't understand it

when you donbase coat, i was 15 mins between coats and after 30 mins following last coat do laquer or clear coat otherwise as I understand you need to sand it with 1000 to create but surface if doing it say next day

re paint types, i know mine is metallic but don’t really know different type of paint and whether mine is acrylic