SAU Community

ER34 GTT gear shifter loose

Hi all,

I think this topic was talked a lot of times, the solution is replace the worn out bottom bush of the shifter, however, my case is I replaced the new bush and even bought a nismo solid quick shifter (discovered it is same as my current one when compared with the new one), it still loose. is there any other possible caused of this? is it the lower bottom parts worn out? or even my gearbox not the generic ER34 gtt gearbox?

Unless you have the wrong lower bush on the bottom it won't be that. (Note - the R34 GTR has a smaller one than the 32/33 GTR and R34 GTT. The 33 gts is larger than both again). Did you get the right lower bush ?

The centre return may appear to "work" fine and spring back to centre, but the springs do fatigue over time creating a sloppy shifter. On one of my GTR boxes the shifter was sloppy as, even with a brand new bush on the bottom and new lower locating cup. Got the gktech spring kit and fitted the 2 hardest springs - completely tightened the stick right up. This is in an h pattern dog box too so it really helps centralise the shift from 2nd to 3rd, which is important.

Just try the springs, you will notice a difference.

On a GTR, a real bastard if the box is in the car,  as they are up fairly high in the tunnel. I replaced them while my box was out. On the 2wd models it will be a bit easier.

• 5 months later...

Finally fixed, replaced the gktech gearbox spring didn’t help, just replaced the bush again which part number is 32861-01g00 which is for r33 gtst, I don’t know why this fit, is my gearbox got changed before? My r34 gtt sedan is made in mar 2000.