SAU Community

Lads. I have been searching the threads about tyre size on rims etc etc.  Yes there is heaps of info and it’s been great. Just brought some 18x 9.5x+12 work wheels. I went to Bob Jane and said I want some 255/35/18 on them and he said he wouldn’t fit them. WTF I thought. He reckons not legal ( this is Victoria the nanny state).

Im curious has anyone else put 255 on 18 recently and have you had any issues. Are they illegal. Not that I give a fxxk anyway.

I can't speak to legal issues but 255 is the right width for a 9.5" wide wheel. The R33 GTRs shipped with 245 width tires on a 9 inch wide rim. You can safely run either 255 or 265. If they don't know something as basic as that I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near a set of work wheels.

Yeh that’s what I reckon Josh. 35 profile I the same rolling diameter as the factory 225/50/16. Yeh fxxk him I’ll go somewhere else and get 255’s. After reading all threads I’m confident they won’t scrub on fronts at full lock. 

Pretty sure there is no "legal" for tyre width vs rim width; however, manufacturers do have approved rim width for combinations of tyre width/sidewall height - and I would expect a tyre shop would not take on the potential liability of fitting a tyre that the manufacturer does not recommend.

For example Yoko AD08R in 255/35/18 are approved for 8.5-10" rim

https://www.gordonleven.com.au/_file/63cb0ad3-540b-7e9f-abd2-5e290241619f?inline=true