SAU Community

brake caliper R34GTT

Hi everyone, i am a french gtt r34 owner and i would love to upgrade my brake.

Instead of buy expensive D2 brake for exemple. I would love to know if Brake caliper of Z34 (370Z) is fit on our r34 Wheel hub (bolt on). (hope you will understand what i want to say)

I want to have front 355mm x 32mm rotors. 

In France i've tried to find some informations but i didn't found them. So i hope you can have some answers.

If i did not mistake oem R34GTT have front 297mm x 30mm rotors. So it pretty sur that i need to change my brake caliper, that is why i thought about 370Z one. But my question is, do they fit on R34 gtt??

Hope you understand and sorry for my English.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by zack777

36 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

http://www.trak-life.com/diy-350z-brembo-brakes-conversion-nissan-skyline-r33-gts-t-gts-gts-4/

This should help. The bolts  on r34 brakes are 14mm so the drilling isn't required

Don't 370Z's have akebono brakes, do they bolt up directly? I know guys have put them on m35's. Just not sure if they're direct fit.

If the D2 brakes are above your budget, you should instead keep standard calipers and standard size rotors. Start by changing to more aggressive pads and better fluid, and if budget stretches that far you could consider uprated rotors as well.

Post r34 stuff (350/370z, V35/V36 etc) has a different offset to R32-34 which means you need to change the disc as well as caliper. Unless you have a very cheap second hand source it won't be cheaper than D2, and remember they come with brand new discs, pads and braided brake lines too....

^^^what he said.  I put GTT brakes on my C34 Stagea (which would be heavier than your Skyline) and with better pads, brake fluid , braided brake lines and a MC stopper they were more than adequate on the street.  If your brakes are causing your ABS to kick in on a hard stop then bigger brakes won't stop you any better.

On the other hand if you are planning to do lap after lap on the track then you will want something better which is why I went to 330mm D2s.

I really feel the Evo 6/7/8/9 calipers + Evo X 350mm rotor upgrade is the best bang for buck upgrade you can do without going to a big brake kit like the D2/K-Sport/Attkd kits. Only costs about AU$1500 (obviously not including pads and fluid) to do the fronts depending on what rotors you decide to buy and how cheap you can find second hand calipers; but nets you a decent upgrade on the calipers and a huge upgrade on the rotors. If you can spend a bit more, get a BM57 master cylinder and perhaps do the rears as well, but none of that HAS to happen all at once either.

See that's the thing to me.....ATTKD R34 355mm 6 spot kit is $2150 and comes with new calipers, 2 piece rotors, pads, brakes lines

vs Alpha Omega 355 Evo : $1924 for used calipers and no pads, or approx $3610 for rebuilt/coated caliper , 2 piece disc and $400 pads

caliper adapters $400

brake lines $145

1 piece rotors $499 (or like for like, 2 piece $1,300)

used evo calipers ($880, potentially +$145 for seals, +$300 for rebuild service + $390 powder coat)

Doesn't add up to me. At best you save $200 and have lucky dip of 2nd hand caliper quality and no pads.

:down:

BTW I run 324 rotors and 4 spot calipers on my r32 GTR race car and they don't fade including endurance racing and long tarmac rally stages. Bigger rotors like 355 aren't necessary unless you have big to huge power (400+) and do heavy track work.

Of course, 355 looks better under 18s if that is your goal.

Sure, but that's what it costs if you just buy it all from Alpha Omega. They're trying to make money off it, which is cool because they are also offering you the convenience of getting all the right gear in one place - but you can find all those parts significantly cheaper if you look around. Just buy their adapter kit for $400, which isn't bad value. Then I picked up my calipers for $500, rebuilt them including new pistons for $170 (I mean if you need to pay someone to rebuild them then that's an extra cost, but it's just about the easiest thing you can do on a car, disassembly and reassembly took all of 25 minutes), powder coating locally shouldn't cost more than $200. Brake lines I got from Alpha for $145, but I got lazy - could have found cheaper if I'd been bothered to measure what was on there etc.

Then the advantage of the Evo gear is that there are SO many options for them in terms of pads and rotors. So you can decide how much you want to pay and what you want to get. Infinite selection of pads, just take your pick. Rotors, you can get single piece DBA T3's for less than $500. Or if you want cheap 2-piece, then get Attkd 2-piece Evo X rotors for $550. Plus it is all OEM quality - there's very little to go wrong with OEM second hand calipers, especially if you rebuild them.

I'll admit, the Attkd kit appealed to me for a long time. But in the end I liked the flexibility of the Evo gear. And I just bought the whole kit over a period of several months from various places, and didn't have to drop the lump sum of cash on a complete kit.

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

See that's the thing to me.....ATTKD R34 355mm 6 spot kit is $2150 and comes with new calipers, 2 piece rotors, pads, brakes lines

vs Alpha Omega 355 Evo : $1924 for used calipers and no pads, or approx $3610 for rebuilt/coated caliper , 2 piece disc and $400 pads

caliper adapters $400

brake lines $145

1 piece rotors $499 (or like for like, 2 piece $1,300)

used evo calipers ($880, potentially +$145 for seals, +$300 for rebuild service + $390 powder coat)

Doesn't add up to me. At best you save $200 and have lucky dip of 2nd hand caliper quality and no pads.

:down:

BTW I run 324 rotors and 4 spot calipers on my r32 GTR race car and they don't fade including endurance racing and long tarmac rally stages. Bigger rotors like 355 aren't necessary unless you have big to huge power (400+) and do heavy track work.

Of course, 355 looks better under 18s if that is your goal.

What pads are you using Duncan?

Hi guys,  Thanks a lot for all your responses  ?

To talk in order, thank for the tutorial Ben C34, so if i well understant 350z brake are direct bolt on R34 Skyline chassis. But about the 370Z?? its the same?

As you said Duncan, D2 big brake are too expensive for me, (more of 2000€ in France), and about my Driving style, i do not race on tracklap (hope is the right word) its only for street, big street if i can say. So yes the stock brake is a little weak for me, and to be honest, 355mm is also for a better looking (18" Wheel)

But i understand what you meant, its almost as expensive as a big brake kit (and all is new, not used) 

If you want i'm looking for the better way and the cheapest ways to have 355mm on my cars or even 340mm but not below.

Today i saw K sport front kit, and its a way less expensive for a 355mm rotors with 6 or 8 piston caliper (1450€) 

But i do not know this brand. It is a good brand?? Why on their website 6pistons is more expensive than 8pistons for the same rotors. Its the first time for me (changing break) and i even don't understand the difference between 6 and 8.

Thank you all :)

Edited by zack777

So far as I know K Sport and D2 are made by the same factory. If appearance is the main criterion then 6 or 8 pistons are all the same. Theoretically an 8 piston set up will apply pressure more evenly to the pad.

11 hours ago, zack777 said:

Thanks for the precision KwiRS4T

Regarding all the information, and depending the price, i think i will take Yellowspeed Big brake, i can have them for 1300€, and all will be new

What do you think?

Honda, Audi guys seem to like them. 

Yes in France it is cheaper than D2 for the same rotors, but why...that is the question! lol

Yes KiwiRS4T about the yellow speed one, i saw many video on YouTube and they seem to be good...

I have to make a choice !?