SAU Community

Looking for alarm and immobiliser suggestions

Steem

Hi, I’m looking for alarm and immobiliser suggestions for my r33 preferably with central locking as my car doesn’t have that rn. And also would the installation process be easy enough for a beginner like me? Or would it be strongly advised to go to an auto electrician to do it. Thanks

I'm not sure by way of systems these days but an alarm/immobilizer is only as good as the installation. I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own if you're not proficient with electrical or mechanical. A professional will know how to hide it all well.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Steem said:

Hi, I’m looking for alarm and immobiliser suggestions for my r33 preferably with central locking as my car doesn’t have that rn. And also would the installation process be easy enough for a beginner like me? Or would it be strongly advised to go to an auto electrician to do it. Thanks

What is your location?

I've had a Viper in my car since I got it (about 21 years). Has not faulted in any way shape or form in that time.

Properly installed by someone good at it. I could have done it, but it's better to leave it to a pro if you're not already good at doing it.

Get a separate screamer siren installed inside the cabin too. You can't easily work inside my car to defeat the alarm if it's going off because it's >120 dB in there and it hurts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlr said:

What is your location?

Id rather not say especially after openly saying my car has not anti theft system what so ever but Australia if that helps

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

I've had a Viper in my car since I got it (about 21 years). Has not faulted in any way shape or form in that time.

Properly installed by someone good at it. I could have done it, but it's better to leave it to a pro if you're not already good at doing it.

Get a separate screamer siren installed inside the cabin too. You can't easily work inside my car to defeat the alarm if it's going off because it's >120 dB in there and it hurts.

I found Viper 3105VR. Is this a safe option? It seems to have everything thing I want and some however would it being on the cheaper side reduce the quality of its anti theft?

1 hour ago, Steem said:

quality of its anti theft?

Immobilisers are all the same shit. They are just relays interposed in the ignition and/or starter circuits. The "security" is bypassable by restoring the original wiring. Most of the appearance of "security" is imaginary, in any of these things. The truly secure immobilisers, like the Brandts that were put into WRXs 20 years ago, were secure because the car could never be started, even when you wanted it to, because the immobilisers were shit.

Edited by GTSBoy

1 hour ago, Steem said:

Id rather not say especially after openly saying my car has not anti theft system what so ever but Australia if that helps

Yeah good point because if you specified  a suburb or general area thieves would be all over you! 

Seriously man he want asking for your address

2 hours ago, Steem said:

It seems like this theft business is seriously worrying you. 

Keep in mind that if someone wants to take your car; they will. Your car will be on the back of a tow truck and gone in a few minutes. There is no anti-tow-truck alarm or immobiliser system. 

So if this is worrying you, some things to think about. Do you want GPS tracking with a notification system? Maybe just keep your agreed insurance value up to date? 

The best security system is a locked garage. Add bollards if you're extra worried. Alarms are a huge waste of time and really only good for giving you hearing loss when it goes off for no reason but not much else. Transponder immobilizers might discourage casual theft/hotwiring but certainly nobody determined. GPS trackers, maybe with a tilt sensor/geofencing might help you locate your car if someone tries to tow it away and you're extremely quick to react.

1 hour ago, joshuaho96 said:

The best security system is a locked garage. Add bollards if you're extra worried. Alarms are a huge waste of time and really only good for giving you hearing loss when it goes off for no reason but not much else. Transponder immobilizers might discourage casual theft/hotwiring but certainly nobody determined. GPS trackers, maybe with a tilt sensor/geofencing might help you locate your car if someone tries to tow it away and you're extremely quick to react.

Cause garage locks are so sophisticated and everywhere you go has a personal garage for every person... bollards for sure if the car is worth it but still doesn't help if you're out and about. Alarm is absolutely worth it if only to warn you (assuming your close by) or scare an amateur, mine certainly has when it used to be street parked. No point making it easier for them and i can't imagine anyone is putting alarm only systems in their car. 

In relation to GPS, anyone determined enough to use a tow truck would use a jammer making it instantly redundant, and tbf would probably just put you in hospital if you caught them as i'd assume they're not your average thief.

• Like 1

IMHO, the options are providing protection or mitigation from different risks or increasing the level of difficultly

1. Alarm. Noisy. Scares some thieves off.
  2. Immobiliser. Prevents some thefts. Required by some insurance companies before they will insure your car at all.
  3. GPS. Allows you to track low level thieves. Also acts as an early warning that someone has set off the alarm or gained entry / caused damage. May be jammed prior
  4. Locked garage. Slows thieves down. Prevents some thefts. Not always available. Required by some insurance companies before they will insure your car at all (based on post code / residence type).
  5. Bollards. Slows thieves down. Prevents some thefts. Not always practical
  6. CCTV. May help after the fact if the police give a shit but unlikley

Preferably have as many as possible given your circumstances but accept the fact that it can be stolen no matter how many of the above are in play. Some people will use violence to achieve this.

I cannot believe the number of cars that I have purchased over the years that do not have 1 - 2. The first question that every insurance company has asked me after address is Alarm / Immobiliser. Do people just lie?

My preference was the South African ( where car jacking and car theft was a massive problem ) solution where they install an bunch of flame thrower pipes under the drivers side door sill.

So when they crims tried to jack it you stomped on a switch and it shot 1.5 meter flames on them.