SAU Community

Amateur racing - Cheap Car Challenge & Lemons

PranK

Hi Guys,

My brother in law and I are seriously considering getting a super cheap car to convert to a bit of a race car and entering into both the Cheap Car Challenge and the 24hrs of Lemons.

Lemons requires a car that costs < $1000 with all safety gear. Though there is some wiggle room on this.

CCC requires a car less than 2L with no forced induction, has to be 15y old (i think, i dont have the details in front of me).

Both require no engine mods, very basic suspension and brake upgrades and tyres.

We'd love an E36 BMW 318is. Super slow, but good chassis, weight distro and RWD.

We're hoping that we can hire a car trailer for the race weekends and tow behind the X5.

We're very early on in the piece and I'm just hoping for any opinions or stories or suggestions from you guys on anything to do with these races. 

Thanks,

Christian

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PranK said:

Also, if anybody has an old car or a source of old race cars for sale, i'd love to see them. Or, if somebody has a car they'd like to donate, the car is going to be covered in SAU stickers.

Hey Prank, i have a bunch of old SAU stickers i can donate? They keep piling up from the contributor packs but I have no use for so many, have heaps of product stickers too if you want to go all out?

@fatz for 24hr Lemons challenge experience

I've personally been hankering for an Excel race car, with the added option of joining the Excel Cup races, small and cheap but FWD obv. but currently have no room or time, but looking forward to following your journey in this space!

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 10:54 AM, GTofuS-T said:

Hey Prank, i have a bunch of old SAU stickers i can donate? They keep piling up from the contributor packs but I have no use for so many, have heaps of product stickers too if you want to go all out?

@fatz for 24hr Lemons challenge experience

I've personally been hankering for an Excel race car, with the added option of joining the Excel Cup races, small and cheap but FWD obv. but currently have no room or time, but looking forward to following your journey in this space!

Thanks mate, you've probably got enough to wrap the whole car!

Yeah the excels look great. 

Anybody have any race car towing experience?

12 hours ago, PranK said:

Really? is it for sale? I'm assuming its either > 2L or turbo though?

It is for sale. 1k is a bit low for me though, but PM me if you're keen still. Happy to work something out. (i bought it for 6k, it's up for 5k).
It's a 2.0L Turbo. AWD, 5 Speed Manual.

4 hours ago, Steve85 said:

It is for sale. 1k is a bit low for me though, but PM me if you're keen still. Happy to work something out. (i bought it for 6k, it's up for 5k).
It's a 2.0L Turbo. AWD, 5 Speed Manual.

Yeaaaaahh. So it's actually a 1.8 T (sigh...) be helpful if I knew what I had I suppose. :D

• Haha 1

We’ve done a few 24hr of lemons events. Quick cars seem to be Integras and Pulsars. We had an old Celica for our first few races. Are now building a pulsar sss.

The car, cage, seat, brakes etc are going to come to about $9,000 to build. For us the car was $800, $1700 for the cage from agi, 500 for the seat, $1000 in brake pads and rotors, $500 for a new clutch, radiator, oil cooler, brake lines, harness, isolator, water pump, wheel bearings, bushings, springs, shocks, tyres and wheels. Plus all your oils and fluids.

I’m doing a build thread here 

just remember the car is the cheapest part! 

• Like 2

Was just about to say the same as Tobz. Lemons is a cheap car but safety kit kills the budget. 

On top of what he listed also have money for helmet, race suit etc depending on your tracks requirements. 

Those items in spec and in date can add up also, specially with a team of 4 that are all different sizes. 

• Like 1