Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


PranK

Amateur racing - Cheap Car Challenge & Lemons

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

My brother in law and I are seriously considering getting a super cheap car to convert to a bit of a race car and entering into both the Cheap Car Challenge and the 24hrs of Lemons.

Lemons requires a car that costs < $1000 with all safety gear. Though there is some wiggle room on this.

CCC requires a car less than 2L with no forced induction, has to be 15y old (i think, i dont have the details in front of me).

Both require no engine mods, very basic suspension and brake upgrades and tyres.

We'd love an E36 BMW 318is. Super slow, but good chassis, weight distro and RWD.

We're hoping that we can hire a car trailer for the race weekends and tow behind the X5.

We're very early on in the piece and I'm just hoping for any opinions or stories or suggestions from you guys on anything to do with these races. 

Thanks,

Christian

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if anybody has an old car or a source of old race cars for sale, i'd love to see them. Or, if somebody has a car they'd like to donate, the car is going to be covered in SAU stickers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PranK said:

Also, if anybody has an old car or a source of old race cars for sale, i'd love to see them. Or, if somebody has a car they'd like to donate, the car is going to be covered in SAU stickers.

Hey Prank, i have a bunch of old SAU stickers i can donate? They keep piling up from the contributor packs but I have no use for so many, have heaps of product stickers too if you want to go all out?

@fatz for 24hr Lemons challenge experience

I've personally been hankering for an Excel race car, with the added option of joining the Excel Cup races, small and cheap but FWD obv. but currently have no room or time, but looking forward to following your journey in this space!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For CCC a race Excel would be the go wouldn't it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about an Audi A4? I know a guy... lols

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

What about an Audi A4? I know a guy... lols

I was actually going to tag you but then i thought $1000 might be an insult?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2020 at 6:48 PM, Steve85 said:

What about an Audi A4? I know a guy... lols

Really? is it for sale? I'm assuming its either > 2L or turbo though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2020 at 4:55 PM, 260DET said:

For CCC a race Excel would be the go wouldn't it? 

This definitely seems to be a favourite and theres lots available off the shelf for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2020 at 10:54 AM, GTofuS-T said:

Hey Prank, i have a bunch of old SAU stickers i can donate? They keep piling up from the contributor packs but I have no use for so many, have heaps of product stickers too if you want to go all out?

@fatz for 24hr Lemons challenge experience

I've personally been hankering for an Excel race car, with the added option of joining the Excel Cup races, small and cheap but FWD obv. but currently have no room or time, but looking forward to following your journey in this space!

Thanks mate, you've probably got enough to wrap the whole car!

Yeah the excels look great. 

Anybody have any race car towing experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PranK said:

Really? is it for sale? I'm assuming its either > 2L or turbo though?

It is for sale. 1k is a bit low for me though, but PM me if you're keen still. Happy to work something out. (i bought it for 6k, it's up for 5k).
It's a 2.0L Turbo. AWD, 5 Speed Manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve85 said:

It is for sale. 1k is a bit low for me though, but PM me if you're keen still. Happy to work something out. (i bought it for 6k, it's up for 5k).
It's a 2.0L Turbo. AWD, 5 Speed Manual.

Yeaaaaahh. So it's actually a 1.8 T (sigh...) be helpful if I knew what I had I suppose. :D

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve done a few 24hr of lemons events. Quick cars seem to be Integras and Pulsars. We had an old Celica for our first few races. Are now building a pulsar sss.

The car, cage, seat, brakes etc are going to come to about $9,000 to build. For us the car was $800, $1700 for the cage from agi, 500 for the seat, $1000 in brake pads and rotors, $500 for a new clutch, radiator, oil cooler, brake lines, harness, isolator, water pump, wheel bearings, bushings, springs, shocks, tyres and wheels. Plus all your oils and fluids.

I’m doing a build thread here 

 

just remember the car is the cheapest part! 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I don’t think I’ve seen many turbo cars do very well in the 24h lemons, there is too much heat.... cooling is the main enemy in this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just about to say the same as Tobz. Lemons is a cheap car but safety kit kills the budget. 

On top of what he listed also have money for helmet, race suit etc depending on your tracks requirements. 

Those items in spec and in date can add up also, specially with a team of 4 that are all different sizes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...