SAU Community

Car idles really high after putting back AFM

So I made a mistake I wanted to clean my airflow meter on my car and now when i put it back it revs up to 4000rpm when i start it and when the key is on the on position there is a buzzing sound even at one point on the dashboard a light was flashing but thats now stopped. i also changed a vacumm hose that was already split in half (surprisingly my car was driving fine the whole time with it lol). maybe because the position of the AFM has changed its causing this? the vacuum hose i used is also a tiny bit larger that the OEM one, but i used  cable ties to secure it. dont know what to do now.

Just now, Ben C34 said:

You have done something else that is wrong

I cleaned the pcv valve was the only other thing? not sure if its worth mentioning but i did get some  degreaser and a screw driver to clean the crud inside.

Edited by silviaz

38 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

It's the pcv valve stuck open in that case

ok the valve does rattle even though looks filthy as. do u think maybe cause the vacum line i replaced is slightly larger inside in the tube?

4 minutes ago, silviaz said:

ok the valve does rattle even though looks filthy as. do u think maybe cause the vacum line i replaced is slightly larger inside in the tube?

Diameter of line would mean nothing, a massive air leak will cause high idle.

A rattly pcv valve doesn't sound right. Block it off and see hat happens.

Your description of what you did isn't exactly useful.

55 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Diameter of line would mean nothing, a massive air leak will cause high idle.

A rattly pcv valve doesn't sound right. Block it off and see hat happens.

Your description of what you did isn't exactly useful.

I changed the pcv still the same and the power button on the dash keeps flashing and engine check light is on. hope i didnt fry the ecu, i didn't disconnect the battery when i done the work

slow down, take your time mate. silly mistakes can cost you big in the rb neck of the woods. i know rb26 tps needs to be set to .4-.5 volts....may not be the same for you but make sure your tps is set correct.

1 hour ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

slow down, take your time mate. silly mistakes can cost you big in the rb neck of the woods. i know rb26 tps needs to be set to .4-.5 volts....may not be the same for you but make sure your tps is set correct.

Yeah should be fine now, have been driving it for a few days drives great. i also found a vacumm leak! a hose was broken in half and i driving like that the whole time and it was fine lol. unless i accidently snapped it but doubt it cause it was pretty strong. though can't remember what my idle rpm used to be but its 500 now. i think its right.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:34 AM, Ben C34 said:

I did think there was a thing involved that caused the issue

Wanted to ask you something randomly because something clicked for me the other day. I didn't realise how valves work and you said that you can't bend a valve if the camshaft is on the bench (i couldn't visualise spinning the crankshaft without the camshaft without hitting valves. but i think i realised if the camshafts are removed the valves are closed? You don't even need to put it to tdc, is this correct? I imagine it makes sense because valves get pushed down and then released as the camshaft lobe spins around and hits it.)

So if i hypothetically wanted to replace my valve stem seals I could just set the motor to regular tdc (for aligning the timing chain later on) and then remove the camshafts then continue to feed rope down into the holes of each spark park hole and  fix each valve stem.  Is any part of my sentence incorrect? 

40 minutes ago, silviaz said:

So if i hypothetically wanted to replace my valve stem seals I could just set the motor to regular tdc (for aligning the timing chain later on) and then remove the camshafts then continue to feed rope down into the holes of each spark park hole and  fix each valve stem.  Is any part of my sentence incorrect? 

That's pretty much exactly how it's done.

As above. I am seriously concerned if you can it successfully though, may be best wait and see if you can get someone experienced to help