SAU Community

RB26 Heat Exchanger

oktaytrz

Not sure about your exact needs, but I'd suggest not using one, and in particular not buying a second hand one....you don't know that a second handie didn't come off a motor with a spun bearing, and I can't think of any way to properly clean one out.

There are better options like rb30 remote oil filter mount or stagea (mount without the oil/water warmer) if you are OK to change the stock setup

That is an oil warmer, they are designed to bring up your oil temp quicker from cold.

Your coolant temp will reach operating temp well before you oil has reached its operating temperature.

As for cooling the oil, they really do nothing.

Alot of heavy plant, as well as car engines, use them, the quicker your oil temp comes up, the quicker you can run an engine at full load.

I had one from a Subaru Forester installed on my 86, the oil stabilised with the coolant temps much quicker.

This meant that once my oil temps got to operating temp, 90°c (ish) I could thrash the guts out of the engine.

It had no effect on my coolant temps either. It did help bring down my oil temps slightly after a good thrash though, once I got of the loud pedal anyway, but only slightly as the assembly would heat soak.

I know a few people who installed them with a thermostat oil to air cooler which worked really well at getting the oil up to temp, and keeping rhe oil from getting overcooked.

I see Uncle Duncan has replied whilst I have been typing.

He will know a world of "the good oil" IRT their use, reliability and efficiency IRT the RB though.

Point of note: I removed mine from my old RB, years ago, when I had it built and a oil to air cooler installed, my oil temp would drop down really low just driving around, so low that I'm pretty sure it never really got up to operating temp.

You really need to get your oil up to at least 90°c before you thrash it, otherwise the oil will not do its job efficiently at protecting your engine.

Anyways............do a skid..