SAU Community

HELP! R33 running 'hot' after coolant temp sensor change

G'day everyone

So for a while now my car has shown the same coolant temp which to me has always been low, so I finally decided to put in a new coolant temp sensor and WHOA it's now reading full hot, but the weird thing is my car, despite reading that high doesn't 'feel' hot.

• No 'boiling' water
  • no loss of coolant
  • no milky stuff in oil
  • radiator can be touched without burning me
  • no smoke/fumes/burning smell

What on earth could be causing this? I might purchase a new radiator and thermostat but before I do, anyone got any advice on troubleshooting the issue?

Car is completely stock besides exhaust. Last weekend I changed plugs and did valve cover gaskets as well.

The before and after images of the temp with the new and old coolant temp sensor.

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7719.JPG

IMG_7722.JPG

From one extreme to the other, does it jump straight to that hot position or gradually work it's way up there as the car warms up from cold?

Most would recommend installing an aftermarket gauge that shows actual temps before trusting the factory gauge. Would be cheaper than chasing a heating issue that may not be present.

Well it rises to half very quickly and then after say 10 minutes of driving will hit the top, stagnates at half for a little while. I’m hoping it’s not because I used an after marker temp sensor (tridon brand)

50 minutes ago, neopowered34 said:

Well it rises to half very quickly and then after say 10 minutes of driving will hit the top, stagnates at half for a little while. I’m hoping it’s not because I used an after marker temp sensor (tridon brand)

I think you will find that is the case. The position the original sensor was showing looked about right.

Just now, admS15 said:

I think you will find that is the case. The position the original sensor was showing looked about right.

I might try giving the OEM sensor a really good clean and see if that changes anything, hopefully it can be revived 

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

FFS! How about applying a little bit of science?

What do you mean? I’m not that clued on with your original post man, how does one measure resistance 

9 minutes ago, neopowered34 said:

What do you mean? I’m not that clued on with your original post man, how does one measure resistance 

Did you mean to Google that? Or ask random People in a forum? Because I would suggest googling it

4 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Did you mean to Google that? Or ask random People in a forum? Because I would suggest googling it

I came here to get some help, not be told to google my issue, i’ve tried that. Any other good people in the forums have some advice that are willing to help a fellow enthusiast 

1 minute ago, neopowered34 said:

I came here to get some help, not be told to google my issue, i’ve tried that. Any other good people in the forums have some advice that are willing to help a fellow enthusiast 

You've been told what you need to do to check the sensor is right. When you're relying on people to diagnose/repair it there is never a correct answer/solution with out doing some of the work. 

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-multimeter---digital/387595.html

One of the best tools to own when trying to diagnose electrical issues. A quick google search and almost every basic problem is fixable with out asking questions on a forum. 

I miss the times before the internet was everywhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You've been told what you need to do to check the sensor is right. When you're relying on people to diagnose/repair it there is never a correct answer/solution with out doing some of the work. 

Understood, that’s why I came here but i need to look at getting the correct tools so I can diagnose. 

Just now, robbo_rb180 said:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-multimeter---digital/387595.html

One of the best tools to own when trying to diagnose electrical issues. A quick google search and almost every basic problem is fixable with out asking questions on a forum. 

I miss the times before the internet was everywhere. 

You gotta understand that not everyone has the same knowledge as you, so be patient....thanks for the help ?

9 minutes ago, neopowered34 said:

I don’t have a multimeter, maybe I should have made that clearer earlier.....but thanks 

how does one measure resistance

Your words. Google that.

a multimeter is like, 15 bucks? or less off ebay. Less than the sensor anyway. Have you checked the coolant? maybe the refill was fkd up and the car is actually running too hot.