SAU Community

HELP! R33 running 'hot' after coolant temp sensor change

48 minutes ago, hardsteppa said:

a multimeter is like, 15 bucks? or less off ebay. Less than the sensor anyway. Have you checked the coolant? maybe the refill was fkd up and the car is actually running too hot.

Yep coolant is fine and looks fairly new. I think the actual temp is okay given i can touch the radiator cap and coolant hoses after driving yet the gauge shows full deflection toward hot. 

Just ordered a new OEM coolant temp sensor and a multimeter, sending back the Tridon brand one...hope this gives me a result. Will look into a aftermarket gauge to cross check just incase, well worth it to prevent engine overheating!

Edit: If interested, $32 posted here, about $20 less than Kudos

https://goodstate.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=w192561392204

Edited by neopowered34

42 minutes ago, neopowered34 said:

Just ordered a new OEM coolant temp sensor and a multimeter, sending back the Tridon brand one...hope this gives me a result. Will look into a aftermarket gauge to cross check just incase, well worth it to prevent engine overheating!

Edit: If interested, $32 posted here, about $20 less than Kudos

https://goodstate.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=w192561392204

Even if the new sensor fixes the issue, it's worth playing with the multimeter when it arrives to figure out how it works and get comfortable with it. There are good instructional videos on youtube showing you what you can do with it. 

9 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Even if the new sensor fixes the issue, it's worth playing with the multimeter when it arrives to figure out how it works and get comfortable with it. There are good instructional videos on youtube showing you what you can do with it. 

I will for sure, can't believe it's taken me this long to get one....though my stock 33 has been super reliable so this is really my first issue that I couldn't solve easily 

2 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I stuck a sender from a wrecker VL into my R31 (RB30E) and it did the same thing. Bought a new one from Kudos and gauge has been fine ever since.

Sweet thanks for letting me know, hopefully my new OEM sensor does the job 

Update: Put in a brand new OEM temp sensor and it's back to reading what it was (see pic below) To me this seems WAY too low. I am still waiting on my multimeter to arrive. Any 33 owners out there agree this reading looks low?

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG