SAU Community

Neil's Motorsport Shed

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2020 at 7:47 AM, Shoota_77 said:

Having been an incredibly tidy mechanic in my early working days I’m now TERRIBLE at putting my tools away.  I have about 6 different jobs on the go so I’ve got tools spread from one end of the shed to the other! I actually don’t know if all of my tools even fit in all my toolboxes as they’re never all there at the same time! ?

When (if) the GT-R gets finished that will be the trigger for an all out shed cleaning onslaught! 

Yea I know what you mean, at the moment I have shit everywhere, which is very un-like me. The problem I'm having is moving gear out of the road so I can do a job which takes hours and then moving it all back. 

On 22/08/2020 at 8:10 AM, Duncan said:

Thanks for passing on your good habits there Neil.

Still have too many partially finished job but at least the tools are put back clean :)

Duncan, seriously you would be disgusted at the state of my shed at the moment, but I can declare I have not lost a 10mm socket yet.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:36 PM, Neil said:

Duncan, seriously you would be disgusted at the state of my shed at the moment, but I can declare I have not lost a 10mm socket yet.

I want to know how you have acquired this skill. Do you not do any work or something?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MBS206 said:

I want to know how you have acquired this skill. Do you not do any work or something?

I'm slightly confused buddy, do you mean not losing 10mm sockets, as that's just a stupid piece of crap on faccy or are you suggesting I'm bludging ???.

• 4 months later...

Here’s some more updates. I’ve done most of the wood framing, installed heaps of insulation and have started putting the wall paneling up. Massive job only because stuff has to be moved out of the way so I have access and me manhandling 3 metre long sheets without breaking them was interesting, but you can feel the temps drop and it stays warmer at night.

Check out the cool grey cabinets, scored these a few years back, my old bosses brother in law renovates offices in Sydney and these came out of a Bank’s call centre, all 11 of them for free. So I decided to be fair and both girls get 4 each. I have mounted them to the walls, sounds easy, ha ha no way, but now they are up and loaded with parts.

The one thing I was lacking was a decent work bench, I was tossing up whether to make a wood framed one or a metal framed one with a kitchen bench top. Then face book comes to the rescue, I follow a market place site for up here, comes in very handy. Turns out a linen shop was closing in town and they are selling off all their wood display cabinetry, 2 hundred bucks got me 4 metres of this goodness, plus the 3 sections on top.

That’s enough for now.

Cheers

Neil

20200807_140743[7344].jpg

20200807_140758[7343].jpg

20200929_002958[8328].jpg

20200929_002942[8329].jpg

20200929_003004[8327].jpg

20201105_221052[8325].jpg

20201105_221104[8324].jpg

20201105_221108[8323].jpg

20201105_221424[8321].jpg

129147501_1026447387824825_3376865152331257974_n.jpg

129388346_1026447367824827_4449573419680702073_n.jpg

I'm so jealous for you in Australia. We need here in Finland goor heaters and thick wals to keep carages and hauses warm at winter. I need to add some extra foam in my garage walls and buy some movable heater if I want to do something at winter time. At the moment here is -12 degrees of celcius. And record here where I live is almost -25. 🥶 

Yeah I find it interesting how different workshops work in different places, one of our Canadian guys mentioned some -35 days recently too.  Generally here it won't get below -10 in winter or more than 45 is summer but it does vary depending on location. This has been a cooler summer but there was still a run of +30 days where I am last week which makes it damn hot to work inside a metal shed with limited airflow.

I'm pretty sure Neil's setup started like most Australian work spaces, steel framed shed with thin external steel sheeting....thus the addition of the internal lining and insulation. The floor will still be cold to lie on in winter though because pretty much no-one has a heated floor.

On 02/02/2021 at 9:28 PM, Duncan said:

looks good....who knew you'd move up to Tamworth to become a chippy!

Thanks buddy, it's getting there. A chippy that concretes, wires, plumbs and house keeps. 

17 hours ago, nuut3ro said:

I'm so jealous for you in Australia. We need here in Finland goor heaters and thick wals to keep carages and hauses warm at winter. I need to add some extra foam in my garage walls and buy some movable heater if I want to do something at winter time. At the moment here is -12 degrees of celcius. And record here where I live is almost -25. 🥶 

Don't be jealous mate, Summers can get very hot and winters bloody cold, inside my garage before any insulation I've seen -4 in winter and in summer 45. Funny enough once it get past 37 it's all the same, you just sweat sweat and sweat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yeah I find it interesting how different workshops work in different places, one of our Canadian guys mentioned some -35 days recently too.  Generally here it won't get below -10 in winter or more than 45 is summer but it does vary depending on location. This has been a cooler summer but there was still a run of +30 days where I am last week which makes it damn hot to work inside a metal shed with limited airflow.

I'm pretty sure Neil's setup started like most Australian work spaces, steel framed shed with thin external steel sheeting....thus the addition of the internal lining and insulation. The floor will still be cold to lie on in winter though because pretty much no-one has a heated floor.

Yea Duncan air flow is a big problem, whilst I'd like the roller doors open when I'm in there, the flies and bugs are just a pain in the arse. I have 2 floor fans that rotate air flow but they make more noise than action, I'm going to look at 2 ceiling fans and one of my jobs very soon is to install the air cond compressor/evap behind the shed, just another shit job.

Yes my shed is exactly like you described, I bought really cool rubber mats as you can see in some of the pics from the auction shop up here, great investment.

And more updates, I was initially going to run just normal rubber air hose behind the walls, but sitting there having a beer or 10, I thought if it blows or starts leaking I would have to pull the wall paneling out to fix it. So I thought screw that, off to Bunnings to buy copper pipe and fitting, as well as quick release airline couplers. I couldn’t find any adapters to fit the couplers to the plumbing fittings so I used some spare water temp sender adapters, stuck then in the lathe and tap my own larger threads. Just to be sure I soldered all the buggers together. All soldered and mounted, so now the real test is turn the compressor on, spray water on all the joints and see if I had any leaks, well bugger me 3 hours later the compressor cuts in, I can still solder properly. Stoked.

Now if you are wondering where my hoses go to, I’ll explain, compressor to water trap/regulator, one hose goes to the sand blaster, disconnect it and the other connects to the copper pipe which terminates close to the hose reel, with another water trap/regulator so both cars can get clean air. The other hose between the cars disconnects from the compressor and connects my nitrogen bottle to the hose reel. Simple.

The other thing I thought prudent was to not run wood wall paneling behind the grinders as that would just stuff the paneling over time, so out with a sheet of aluminium checker plate and install that instead. Fun times.

That's way enough for now.

Cheers and hope you like it all.

Neil

20210203_141234[8475].jpg

20210203_141240[8474].jpg

20210203_141249[8473].jpg

20210203_141255[8472].jpg

20210203_141318[8471].jpg

20210203_141326[8470].jpg

20210203_141332[8469].jpg

20210203_191435[8506].jpg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

It’s been a while between updates, I’ve been busy selling off Skyline, Kawasaki and all my other old stuff so I can finance the shed without using our household funds. That has actually worked out great. I bought a garden shed and cement to get all the garden stuff out of both the garage and my shed. I also bought a Hydraulic Press and bought cartridges for our old printer so now that is in the shed and working perfectly. I also bought an awning for the private door, yet to install that.

Did some more wall panels, so 2 walls are actually finished and started doing more. The roller cabinets above the work bench were interesting, how do you hold them up while bolting them in, I came up with this novel idea, it worked out great. I also needed to sort out all my fasteners, so I started using old flour containers, seriously these are great and that is probably never going to end soon, so many different stuff, wow, just wow, I didn’t realize the amount I have.

Cheers

Neil

20210821_165930[1610].jpg

20210821_165942[1608].jpg

20210821_165957[1606].jpg

20210821_170014[1604].jpg

20210830_142413[1600].jpg

20210830_142420[1597].jpg

20210830_142440[1594].jpg

20210830_142455[1596].jpg

20210830_142347[1602].jpg

20210917_151337[1612].jpg

20210917_153124[1614].jpg

that is im-press-ive HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I kill me.

BTW consider clearance behind when you bolt the press down; lots of weird shaped parts need clearance front and back to fit properly and I fixed mine too close to the wall behind in the old place.

As usual we think alike as I have exactly the same press.

Like Duncan, I have also had issues with a part being too long and I have had to move the press 90 degrees to allow it to fit in. After this happened a few times I just left it on the floor. These things are heavy and do not move around and therefore do not realy need to be bolted down.

• 3 weeks later...

Crappy job over the last couple of days, years ago I bought a Hare & Forbes sand blaster, great thing but they really need sealing between all the joints,the medium ends up everywhere over time . So I decided it was time to fix it. Pulled it totally apart and bought rubber strips to go between all the joints. I also removed the stupid fluro light and sealed up it's openings. New gloves were also purchased just because I could. Sounds easy but I had to sit there and clean every part so the rubber strips would seal properly, no way am I ever doing this again. Finally I had to replace the 3mm plexiglass lid because it was just to thin and warps over time, replaced with 6mm lid from bunnings. Here's a game I've never played before, cutting and drilling this stuff, turns out slow and easy is the way to go. Now to decide which medium to buy.

blaster.jpg

That's a nice big clear lid. I've got the Supercheap unit but the window is a bit small and the whole thing is just a bit small internally when trying to do a manifold or something large and fiddly. 

Living in the country has so many advantages and so does facebook. Marketplace is awesome up here as one instance. I scored a dishwasher for free only because the on/off switch was broken. Opened it up and just bypassed the switch, bloody thing works perfectly. So I now have a parts washer after 1/2 an hour of work. I did a test run with just water, it removed some dirt but not good enough,so I used a proper tablet, wow way to aggressive,it sends aluminium white. I need to find something in between. Anybody got any suggestions?.

Cheers

Neil

adw14s_front_wr.jpg