SAU Community

Neil's Motorsport Shed

Neil

On 18/09/2021 at 11:23 AM, Victory said:

As usual we think alike as I have exactly the same press.

Like Duncan, I have also had issues with a part being too long and I have had to move the press 90 degrees to allow it to fit in. After this happened a few times I just left it on the floor. These things are heavy and do not move around and therefore do not realy need to be bolted down.

Yep, crazy idea bolting it down, I learned that lesson using Duncan's at his old place. The thing weighs 67kg's, no reason to bolt it down.

On 07/10/2021 at 3:22 PM, Neil said:

Ewan, I think the supercheap one is the same as mine just smaller. Bet they are all made in china by the same manufacturer.

Yeah no doubt. I'm tempted to buy another one and join them together but too hard because of the collector/hopper needing to be joined too. Too hard...

With your dishwasher and my household oven (for powdercoating parts) in our sheds we could run cooking and home keeping classes for men to raise money for our projects? Just an idea.....  🤣

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, Neil said:

Yep, crazy idea bolting it down, I learned that lesson using Duncan's at his old place. The thing weighs 67kg's, no reason to bolt it down.

I put mine on wheels. Makes it super easy to keep moving it from one side of the shed to another when it constantly gets in the way!

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, Shoota_77 said:

Yeah no doubt. I'm tempted to buy another one and join them together but too hard because of the collector/hopper needing to be joined too. Too hard...

With your dishwasher and my household oven (for powdercoating parts) in our sheds we could run cooking and home keeping classes for men to raise money for our projects? Just an idea.....  🤣

Nah, just buy a bigger one mate, Duncan went big, would be great for his input.

Not sure I want to eat out of your oven, Yuk.

Yeah I went next size up, the style that comes with it's own stand rather than bench mount....fits everything larger I've tried like plenum, engine covers, uprights

And yes, Neil convinced me to pull mine apart and put sealing foam in years ago. absolute PITA job but it does seal properly now so I guess it was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

With summer coming I thought it prudent to actually do something about re-installing the air conditioner. I was going to go to Bunnings, but marketplace came to the rescue again. A bloke was giving away off cuts so I took all of them and made up brackets to mount the evaporator to the water tanks steel base mount behind the shed. That was a job I actually enjoyed doing, used the mig welder, so much fun. Then I properly mounted the inside units bracket and got a bloke out to give me a quote on running the pipes with covers over them, insulate them and re-gassing the system. We had an interesting conversation, he asked me what I expected it to do and I said if it takes 10 degrees off the shed temps then I’m happy. Then I said to him what do you think about running a sprinkler system on the roof, I got a strange look, so I explained to him that I did this in Sydney. He said we only do that up here as a bush fire aid, but it would absolutely help the air cond, he’s booked for Monday arvo. So I’m going to start that as my next project, I’m thinking I’ll use the transfer pump to supply water up to the roof from the tank and it can run back into the tank using the gutters. Just have to buy the piping and fittings, see how this one goes.1979842362_20211015_162825(0)1660.thumb.jpg.5df8e15ed0adcb7e4db1efd3ee78d380.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

20211015_162903[1662].jpg

20211015_162929[1664].jpg

20211015_162951[1666].jpg

20211016_143251[1668].jpg

What bloody summer, it's 1o here this morning. I knew Global Warming was a conspiracy to reset the world economy by skinsuit wearing lizard people who unleashed covid via the 5g towers

Also....it's not instagram unless you show us pics of your welds. I somehow forgot to take any pics of the repairs I did to the slasher a couple of weeks ago

I said Summer was coming you lunatic. Sorry but I'm not on Instagram, so no pics of my awesome welding but the air con bloke was impressed. Great service from him, turned up on time to quote and turned up early to do the job. I was a bit worried about re-commissioning it after some years in storage, but it works perfectly. Now I have to sit down and work out what bits I need for the sprinkler system.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisey update today, I need to start getting stuff off the floor. I store my rags in a plastic bucket which just always seems to be in the bloody road, so using 2 BMW roof airbag transport protectors I mounted them to the sides of the cabinets. The man that invented thread inserts is a legend. Here’s what I did. So now the bucket can go up on the mezzanine floor.

cage4.jpg

cage1.jpg

cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

cage5.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well so much fun, time to install the garden shed I bought a while ago to get the mowers and all that crap out of my workshop and front garage. Two choices, first, the back of the house and second at the back fence. Problems arrive from both options, back of the house has the auto sprinkler system running under there and the security lights are in the way, so that's out. Second is the back fence, sounds easy, I'll go with that, all I have to remove is a 5 metre tall mulberry tree and 3 smaller bushes. BE WARNED, do not grow this shit,no not me it was here before us, it's root system is massive and strangles everything in a 3 metre radius. I will win.

If anybody cares this is what I bought 1.52 x 1.52 x 2.08 High.

tree.jpg

20220718_164810[2242].jpg

0123596-AdditionalImage1.png

On 23/07/2022 at 9:21 AM, Duncan said:

haha have fun with the pick axe.

you putting a little slab under it? I think it's worth the trouble to keep it flat and dry long term

Bloody hell yea, pick axe, shovels, axe, recip saw, ratchet straps, you name it I'm using it. I'm now using a sieve to separate the bark from soil. Fantastic fun but it really has no place in my backward. Greta would come into the house with purple patches all over her. The bee's love the sap though , such cool little dudes, I actually help them by trimming off slithers, we are the best of friends.

I'm thinking a 70mm deep slab with an extra 50mm overhang all round for the sides, Is that enough?.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while between updates, it may not look like I've done much, but I actually have. Many many years ago we splashed out on a very expensive Yamaha stereo and I had to get the pre-amp fixed and finally got it back. Now I can't use the tape deck, equalizer, turntable and the speakers were past their use by date, but I can use the tuner. The cd players belt is stretched so I'll have to get that fixed next. I bought a pair of 6 x 9 Pioneer speakers and some boxes, all wired up behind the wood paneling and It's working awesome. Nothing like having tunes while you work.

I don't have remote garage doors so I made this pvc pipe thingy to pull them down and stuff me it's a pain storing it, so I made this crazy holder out of a driving lamp mount and some old alloy tube, cool as.

Now the big one, I was never going to buy a hoist, but I have, No way was I going to play Skyline rebuild on my back, all installed, working and Cheryl's on it.

You may have also noticed I have changed Led lights above the hoist, the original ones turned out very un-reliable. so I bought 2 of these Leier 150w led high bay, will be interesting to see how they go.

That's enough for now, time to start getting Zoe ready for the Australian Hillclimb Champs.

20221011_001213[10320].jpg

20221011_000731[10324].jpg

20221011_000748[10322].jpg

20221011_000220[10326].jpg

20221011_000208[10339].jpg

20221011_000121[10330].jpg

20221011_000132[10328].jpg

• Like 1

Nice upgrades, how have you found the lights? Looking to use something similiar and wondering how they go with brightness and spread.
Hoist is the best thing makes it enjoyable to work on cars being comfortable. I have old office chairs to sit on BUT one problem you'll find is can't go without one once you have had it.

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

That's f**king awesome, and who knew you had a Skyline as well! Good news for old bones :)

I guess you couldn't go clear floor due to ceiling height, how is it getting the car over the link?

Yea, I can now install engine and gearbox together from underneath.

The ceiling height and slab thickness made the choice for me, the crazy thing is the previous owner told me the slab was 100mm thick, turns out it's 150mm, what a dickhead.

No problem rolling the car in at the moment, no engine or box makes it easy, just get Melinda to help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Nice upgrades, how have you found the lights? Looking to use something similiar and wondering how they go with brightness and spread.
Hoist is the best thing makes it enjoyable to work on cars being comfortable. I have old office chairs to sit on BUT one problem you'll find is can't go without one once you have had it.

Rob, the lights so far are awesome, I thought if Harvey Norman sell them then they must be good, I'll definitely be buying more. I have to work out now how to get lighting for when the car is at maximum height.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Rob, the lights so far are awesome, I thought if Harvey Norman sell them then they must be good, I'll definitely be buying more. I have to work out now how to get lighting for when the car is at maximum height.

Good to hear, I was planning on mounting a baton light off the wall to light up engine bays. Maybe even a bracket to angle down a bit.