SAU Community

Revisiting single vs twins

I posted that onto the R32 GTR Australia FB Page and ripped appart. LOL's

All I wanted to do was show that some modern tech used in a "Moderate" twin set up would be a good street car with a stealth appearance. These were run on pretty basic US fuel too so i would expect the setups to perform differently with some Corn Syrup but don't let that distract you from the fact that Hector will be running 3 SPOON engines!

Not everyone is looking be fully hectic as WSID Bro.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torque Curve said:

I posted that onto the R32 GTR Australia FB Page and ripped appart. LOL's

All I wanted to do was show that some modern tech used in a "Moderate" twin set up would be a good street car with a stealth appearance. These were run on pretty basic US fuel too so i would expect the setups to perform differently with some Corn Syrup but don't let that distract you from the fact that Hector will be running 3 SPOON engines!

Not everyone is looking be fully hectic as WSID Bro.....

I have to go stealth so we’ll see what the HKS GT3-SS “modern” turbos do. It’ll be the only modified part on the car.

Jeez the jap brands stop developing new products in the late 90s

Garret / precision would surely be a better option than HKS?

17 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

I have to go stealth so we’ll see what the HKS GT3-SS “modern” turbos do. It’ll be the only modified part on the car.

43 minutes ago, hattori hanzo said:

Jeez the jap brands stop developing new products in the late 90s

Garret / precision would surely be a better option than HKS?

My goal was to find the smallest aftermarket bolt-on twin turbo. The HKS GT3-SS is the smallest turbo out there, to the extent that it cannot sustain much more than ~1.35 bar at high RPM due to the small turbine, which basically means that it was competing with -7s and -9s. From what I've seen it is roughly competitive with -7s in terms of peak power, but is capable of delivering a lot more power down in the 4000 RPM range. -9s can deliver more peak power, but the narrower compressor map seems to affect how well they respond down low.

The GT3-SS is also a pretty new turbo, came out ~4 years ago, I don't put a lot of stock into their marketing literature but they basically admit in it that they've just borrowed a turbo from a more recent engine and modified it to suit the RB26.

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Americans, they love to keep the brands aligned.

I would love to buy the MHI turbo that it's based on and not pay a thousand dollars for an HKS logo, unfortunately nobody is really interested in figuring those pesky details out. Doesn't seem like anyone is really interested in small power builds these days.

On 23/07/2020 at 2:58 PM, joshuaho96 said:

I would love to buy the MHI turbo that it's based on and not pay a thousand dollars for an HKS logo, unfortunately nobody is really interested in figuring those pesky details out. Doesn't seem like anyone is really interested in small power builds these days.

Flip at JMS in Adelaide loves the new range of HKS twins and he may be worth a quick call to get some feedback on them.

8 hours ago, r32-25t said:

Of corse he does, he makes a living by selling them so he isn’t going to tell you they’re shit

It remains to be seen what the real results are. I would really hope that for the money and with over 10 years HKS can beat a set of -7s. 

Replying with comments that insinuate that If someone makes money from a product then there is an assumed underlying deceptive motive, really doesn't help the OP.

Surely you all get paid for work you do or profit from a business you own so is this not the EXACT same thing you are accusing others of??

Just pull your heads in, It's getting old.

25 minutes ago, Torque Curve said:

Replying with comments that insinuate that If someone makes money from a product then there is an assumed underlying deceptive motive, really doesn't help the OP.

Surely you all get paid for work you do or profit from a business you own so is this not the EXACT same thing you are accusing others of??

Just pull your heads in, It's getting old.

Thanks for the advice thread policeman. Very helpful .

I would suggest pointing out that you don't neccisarly need  to believe what people say when they are trying to sell you stuff is a fairly sensible suggestion.

sorry your feelings were hurt. My head doesn't pull in so not sure how to move forward from here.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

It remains to be seen what the real results are. I would really hope that for the money and with over 10 years HKS can beat a set of -7s. 

The real question I guess is, what does the "new" HKS GTIII-SS Mitsubishi journal bearing chra turbo magically achieve that the Garrett can't in the real world when it comes to performance and REAL, quantifiable, tangible positive results. I am guessing it won't do anything better anywhere, and end up being a complete waste of time and money over just getting the Garrett turbos. Don't believe the hype man.

Mate, I think you should have just bought -9s (now gt2859-2) for a better all around result. That said, being in the Californ-i-a maybe the best GTR is a stock, unmodified GTR ? Seems all too hard there.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 6:54 AM, BK said:

The real question I guess is, what does the "new" HKS GTIII-SS Mitsubishi journal bearing chra turbo magically achieve that the Garrett can't in the real world when it comes to performance and REAL, quantifiable, tangible positive results. I am guessing it won't do anything better anywhere, and end up being a complete waste of time and money over just getting the Garrett turbos. Don't believe the hype man.

Mate, I think you should have just bought -9s (now gt2859-2) for a better all around result. That said, being in the Californ-i-a maybe the best GTR is a stock, unmodified GTR ? Seems all too hard there.

We'll have to see, worst case I replace the turbos when they blow up or when the engine gets pulled again. The US tuners with dyno sheets on the GT3-SS don't have a financial interest in selling an HKS turbo over a Garrett turbo, even if they play games with correction factors and inflate numbers I'm looking for relative comparisons. The data I've seen so far suggests that worst case, it's a minor improvement over -9s in the mid-range and isn't as capable for power. Best case I'll be able to get close to the "as advertised" torque curve here with VCAM step 1B, which would really be incredible: image.png.04da507c460455c8b5a93dacccb6e3be.png

I'm really not wedded to making a ton of power, at the end of the day this is a street-tailored car and power delivery is more important than what the number says.