SAU Community

Braided coolant lines for turbo

I want to make braided coolant lines for my turbo im installing and need to get the correct raceworks hose and fitting.

Im a little confused there's two types of fitting, ones called Teflon and the others called cutter fittings same with different series of braided hoses?

so i don't end up wasting money on stuff that's not going to work im hoping one of you knowledgeable legends can help me out.

This is what I've come up with for the coolant line fittings: 

An-6 hose (not sure what series hose i need)

Turbo coolant feed line:

2x metric male m14x1.5 to male flare an6

2x an-6 90 degree hose fitting

Turbo coolant return line:

1x metric male m14x1.5 to male flare an6

1x an-6 90 degree hose fitting

1x an6 straight hose fitting

1x an6 flare to 3/8 (an6) barb fitting

Hopefully that makes sense

Thanks.

Go with Teflon. Closer to a heat source, the Teflon will cope better.

The critical bit is that you get the appropriate fittings to suit the hose you use, ie. for Speedflow you would use 100 series hose with 100 series fittings, 200 series hose needs 200 series fittings. Teflon hose has a hard plastic inner, it's fittings use an olive that crimps between the fitting shell and the hose body to seal. The 'cutter' style fittings are for a rubber inner so the fittings cut into that rubber hose to seal. If you try to use 100 series fittings with 200 series hose then they won't seal and you'll be able to pull them off by hand, and if you try to use 200 series fittings with 100 series hose then it just won't fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't really comment man, you'll need whatever fittings suit the way you are routing the lines. It all sounds like it will work. 

I think I used a banjo fitting into the block when I did mine, but I can't remember why. I imagine a straight or angled metric to AN adapter will work just fine too.