SAU Community

Understanding how the Stagea M35 screen works

Keir

When I bought my Stagea it didn't have the standard pop-up screen; one of the previous owners had replaced it with a fixed unit.

1671755619_20200721_1430311.thumb.jpg.418263b13395a260f26a21cceb26b994.jpg

Unfortunately, this screen doesn't function. I don't know if it's the standard screen, which has been remounted in this fixed position or whether it's something else entirely. On the back it has a yellow, RCA style input and a couple of 3.5mm sockets, one of which is for a remote on/off button which doesn't work. I think it's made by Clarion.

Anyway, a couple of months back I decided to remove all of the AV stuff in the Stagea that wasn't doing anything other than weighing it down. I removed the Japanese DVD/Satnav unit above the glove box, and also the TV tuner which was installed under the carpet in the front passenger's foot well. The TV unit had actually been crushed by someone jacking the car up using the floor instead of the chassis. I also removed about a kilometre of cabling.

20200721_143237.thumb.jpg.3b193b9dd7f8535f97f28b55b181b93f.jpg

Some questions:

On the Stagea's standard pop-up screen, you get a display in Japanese that shows data such as real-time fuel consumption. I think this screen has a graphic of a leaf or something. Does anyone know what actually produces this image? Is it a product of the damaged TV unit in the photo above (left) or is produced by the DVD/Satnav system (right)? Or does it come from somewhere else? Presumably the actual data is retrieved from the ECU and then processed somehow for the display.

I actually use the Android app NDSII and an OBD2 Bluetooth interface to retrieve some data but unfortunately fuel consumption isn't one of the available parameters. Has anyone had any luck retrieving this fuel consumption data via an OBD2 interface?

My Stagea has the Bose sound system and I am about to a receive a PAC interface so that I can connect a generic 2 DIN unit and utilise the Bose amplifier and subwoofer. I'll hopefully be able to fit it neatly into the aftermarket, fixed cowling. I'm trying to choose between the cheap (and sometimes cheerful) Chinese Android units, and a more traditional Kenwood or Sony unit that supports Android Auto. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keir