SAU Community

Partial respray before or after?

Hi I've never resprayed a car before and I'm getting the front panels new front bumper and the roof resprayed due to paint fade. What i want some advice on is should i get the rest cut and polished before to bring it back up to match the new paint as much as possible or do i get the whole car done afterwards.

I have no idea if the new paint would need it but i see some threads here asking when they can cut and polish thsir new paint job.

Thx for any advice

2 hours ago, Walkinshaw87 said:

Hi I've never resprayed a car before and I'm getting the front panels new front bumper and the roof resprayed due to paint fade. What i want some advice on is should i get the rest cut and polished before to bring it back up to match the new paint as much as possible or do i get the whole car done afterwards.

I have no idea if the new paint would need it but i see some threads here asking when they can cut and polish thsir new paint job.

Thx for any advice

Hi mate,

I would do it after it is painted. Just so you know how much to cut/polish etc.

If it's a good job, you shouldn't 'need' it. But it makes a hell of a difference. Most clear coats will dull off a little bit as they cure compared to the full wet gloss appearance they give while they are wet. A compound (ideally a wet-sand and then compound) can bring the gloss back to a full gloss.

Most people are happy with the off-the-gun job. You don't need a polish to get the colours to match - that is the spray painters job.