SAU Community

First Time Skyline Owner in Virginia USA

LiteraCola

3 hours ago, teddlon said:

Cool cars. Any info about the blue one?

It's an 02 Z06 with the original LS6, definitely not a swap. 43k miles. Stock bottom end, heads have been ported/polished, SS valves, Virginia Speed custom cam, LG Motorsports long tubes, Billy Boat Bullets exhaust with high flow cats, Vortech V1 supercharger running 8psi. Holley twin-pump return fuel system.  It made 610whp/507wtq on 93 octane. Stock trans with a McLeod RST2 twin-disk, stock (whiny) 3.42 rear. Pfadt Johnny O'Connell shocks and swaybars, otherwise stock suspension lowered on aftermarket bolts.

I don't race often, but my best 1/4 mile is 11.17 @ 131 mph.

7.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Like 3

I have combined these two cars (and a commodore)

I have to ask - Why did you want a Skyline when you have a Z06 - Even a turbo Z06? Given the R33 won't shape up to this thing effectively ever, what was the appeal behind it? Just cause forbidden fruit for so long?

What makes you decide to go driving in the 33 when you enter your shed etc? Does it do anything different/better/more satisfying?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

I have combined these two cars (and a commodore)

I have to ask - Why did you want a Skyline when you have a Z06 - Even a turbo Z06? Given the R33 won't shape up to this thing effectively ever, what was the appeal behind it? Just cause forbidden fruit for so long?

What makes you decide to go driving in the 33 when you enter your shed etc? Does it do anything different/better/more satisfying?

That's actually a good question haha. Basically, I've taken the Corvette about as far as I'd like to go with it (without another substantial investment). I have a daughter and the Corvette is very difficult to take places with the family, because of the lack of rear seats (obviously). I was looking into other American performance cars like the GTO (Monaro), G8 (Commodore), CTSV, Challenger, Charger, etc... They all have decent power and back seats. Problem is, everybody f**king has them. They're everywhere. 

To be completely honest, I'm not even really a big fan of American cars, besides the Corvette. On the other hand, I've always been in love with 90's Japanese cars, especially Honda's; my daily is a 98 EK Hatch (bone stock). I love the simplicity, and the feel of the car, so to speak. Unfortunately, Honda doesn't really have a performance car with back seats, besides the Type R. I test drove one at one point, super fun, but $40k, though? I looked into the USDM TT Supra, but have you seen the prices on these? That brought me into RHD territory, and nothing made more sense to me than the Skyline. I grew up playing Gran Turismo, watching the F&F movies (sue me), and wondering why the hell these cars were never sold here. Shit, until the day of my test drive, I had never even seen an R33 in real life. These are not cars you see on the street. I do rather enjoy seeing the looks of confusion on peoples' faces when they pull up next to me, trying to figure out what the hell kind of car that is, and why the idiot is sitting on the wrong side of the car.

I wasn't prepared to spend $50k+ on a GTR, so I set my sights a little lower/realistically on the Type M. Less than half the price, but still a blast to drive. So here we are.

I wouldn't exactly say that it's more satisfying to drive than the Corvette... I still prefer the feel of my face being pulled off when I launch it. I really enjoy the simplicity of it, the raw feeling of it. No driver aids, just me and the car. Sounds geeeey, but you get what I'm saying. It's different for you guys; you've been seeing these cars since Day 1, so it's no big deal. To us in the States, it's a unicorn. 

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Like 3

I appreciate the feedback. It is always interesting hearing reviews across the pond, and a lot of them say the 'driving experience' in a Skyline is objectively really good. Even though we're pretty jaded here, we all do kinda agree to that extent. The sky can be the limit with a Skyline, but I've noticed with my own LS6 Skyline... going to put on tyres that would fit a Vette, with very similar weight.. and same drag co-efficient (apparently!) that I'm like .....hmmm.... what am I building here...

... so why didn't you get a Sedan then? ?

It is interesting to see how the vehicle dynamics compare really, not many people have both. You can of course boost up a R33 to the point where it will also run 10's and rip your face off, well.. once you hit about 4000rpm. But that's its own fun too.

56 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I appreciate the feedback. It is always interesting hearing reviews across the pond, and a lot of them say the 'driving experience' in a Skyline is objectively really good. Even though we're pretty jaded here, we all do kinda agree to that extent. The sky can be the limit with a Skyline, but I've noticed with my own LS6 Skyline... going to put on tyres that would fit a Vette, with very similar weight.. and same drag co-efficient (apparently!) that I'm like .....hmmm.... what am I building here...

... so why didn't you get a Sedan then? ?

It is interesting to see how the vehicle dynamics compare really, not many people have both. You can of course boost up a R33 to the point where it will also run 10's and rip your face off, well.. once you hit about 4000rpm. But that's its own fun too.

I’m just a coupe kind of a guy, I guess! And my daughter is old enough that she can climb her ass into the back seat. I’ll leave the sedan thing to my wife haha

My plan is to build the Skyline (finances-willing), but not to the point where it becomes uncomfortable and annoying to drive. So many times I’ve made the mistake of modding cars until I can’t stand driving them. I’m getting too old to be uncomfortable in my own car. 

There’s just something about older cars that I’ve always loved. My wife has a 2018 Civic Sport. It’s a manual (requirement for our household), but it’s too easy to drive and completely silent on the road. I need road noise (within reason) and rattles and squeaks haha. 

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, LiteraCola said:

I need road noise (within reason) and rattles and squeaks haha. 

Hell yeah... I completely agree!

My partner recently bought a Mazda CX5 with relatively low km on it and while it's fantastic to take on our longer trips on the highway, going to see family, the beach etc, it doesn't really strike me with any sense of "fun". It's super comfy and roomy but it almost drives itself. 

Anyway I love that you have your little slice of JDM history over there now. Enjoy all the looks you get!

18 minutes ago, mosquitocoils said:

Hell yeah... I completely agree!

My partner recently bought a Mazda CX5 with relatively low km on it and while it's fantastic to take on our longer trips on the highway, going to see family, the beach etc, it doesn't really strike me with any sense of "fun". It's super comfy and roomy but it almost drives itself. 

Anyway I love that you have your little slice of JDM history over there now. Enjoy all the looks you get!

Oh, I already am, dude. It's the people from my generation who know these cars. The kids nowadays have no clue, as with the older crowd. I at least tried to explain the car's significance to my 6 year old. She doesn't care about all that nonsense, but she does love the "whoosh noise" and the fact that there must be a small Japanese woman hiding inside my stereo who gives me random words of encouragement from time to time......

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LiteraCola said:

Oh, I already am, dude. It's the people from my generation who know these cars. The kids nowadays have no clue, as with the older crowd. I at least tried to explain the car's significance to my 6 year old. She doesn't care about all that nonsense, but she does love the "whoosh noise" and the fact that there must be a small Japanese woman hiding inside my stereo who gives me random words of encouragement from time to time......

Haha! Those japanese stereos are good for a laugh... we had a mate with a V35 skyline that came with the full japanese stereo and he purposely left it in there because it would audibly remind him when he was getting low on fuel. He couldn't understand what she was saying, just got to learn what that phrase meant hahaha.

What stereo is in yours? Can you change the language you think?

Also I'm with you about your daughter. My 2 year old son believes my Stagea is 'his car' and can do the BOV/flutter sound pretty good now as a result! He's grown so attached to it that my partner keeps telling me "you know you'll have to actually let him drive it one day" ?

10 hours ago, mosquitocoils said:

Haha! Those japanese stereos are good for a laugh... we had a mate with a V35 skyline that came with the full japanese stereo and he purposely left it in there because it would audibly remind him when he was getting low on fuel. He couldn't understand what she was saying, just got to learn what that phrase meant hahaha.

What stereo is in yours? Can you change the language you think?

Also I'm with you about your daughter. My 2 year old son believes my Stagea is 'his car' and can do the BOV/flutter sound pretty good now as a result! He's grown so attached to it that my partner keeps telling me "you know you'll have to actually let him drive it one day" ?

It’s a Carrozzeria (Pioneer) double din with GPS and SD Card capability! Other than the CD player, it’s absolutely useless. And from what I gather, it’s impossible to change the language on these. This, combined with OG speakers, makes for quite the audio experience! I feel like I’m in high school again; lugging around my 20lb CD case wherever I go! I’m actually in the process of gathering up new speakers and head unit to get with the times!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jkainenn said:

Nice car indeed! Gotta love that color, 326 Super White isn't it?

I’m pretty sure it’s QM1 Cloud White, but I can double check. The car was painted at some point. It looks like an “okay” paint job, cleans up nice haha

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, LiteraCola said:

Problem is, everybody f**king has them. They're everywhere. 

The American cars r everywhere and they never really made me feel any feelings at all. The c8 corvette is the first one but I still wouldn’t buy it for myself. It is cool tho. I have my own car show and sometimes u will get like 5 of the same mustang or charger and corvette or whatever and like I just want to go ask them how it feels to have a car everyone has and not have a special car that shows ur personality even a little. I always say these guys show up to compare the steering wheel covers their wife bought them

On 8/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, LiteraCola said:

To us in the States, it's a unicorn. 

This is also well said. There’s the whole war with the Subarus and Mitsubishi’s (and I’m totally team evo. Evo 9 to b specific) but if a skyline pulls up it’s over. Everyone leaves the cars they r lookin at and goes to the skyline and they all agree it’s amazing. (Then u get the guy that wants it to b a Paul walker tribute car). Old people don’t understand so u just have to take them for a ride when the build is done. If they don’t understand then they don’t know cars. With people my age they all want like a new Lambo. If it’s not a Lambo it doesn’t exist to them. I’ll mention a pagani to my friends and they still have no idea what it is. They only know what the popular thing is. The only designer they know is Gucci cause it’s popular and it’s popular cause it’s mentioned in a lot of songs. They won’t ever want a skyline. It won’t ever b cool. I could literally beat a Lambo around a track or down the strip and their answer would b that guy should’ve gotten a better Lambo. 

the car is really nice tho and good luck

On 12/20/2020 at 9:55 PM, Defiance772 said:

The American cars r everywhere and they never really made me feel any feelings at all. The c8 corvette is the first one but I still wouldn’t buy it for myself. It is cool tho. I have my own car show and sometimes u will get like 5 of the same mustang or charger and corvette or whatever and like I just want to go ask them how it feels to have a car everyone has and not have a special car that shows ur personality even a little. I always say these guys show up to compare the steering wheel covers their wife bought them

This is also well said. There’s the whole war with the Subarus and Mitsubishi’s (and I’m totally team evo. Evo 9 to b specific) but if a skyline pulls up it’s over. Everyone leaves the cars they r lookin at and goes to the skyline and they all agree it’s amazing. (Then u get the guy that wants it to b a Paul walker tribute car). Old people don’t understand so u just have to take them for a ride when the build is done. If they don’t understand then they don’t know cars. With people my age they all want like a new Lambo. If it’s not a Lambo it doesn’t exist to them. I’ll mention a pagani to my friends and they still have no idea what it is. They only know what the popular thing is. The only designer they know is Gucci cause it’s popular and it’s popular cause it’s mentioned in a lot of songs. They won’t ever want a skyline. It won’t ever b cool. I could literally beat a Lambo around a track or down the strip and their answer would b that guy should’ve gotten a better Lambo. 

the car is really nice tho and good luck

Ya know, I try not to trouble myself with what's popular or trendy; I like what I like. I actually enjoy the hell out of my old, tired Nissan, even if it's not that fast and has skinny tires,  or when random rednecks pull up next to me at stoplights and remind me that I'm sitting on the wrong side of the car (this happens almost every time I drive the car).  It's what I wanted, so it's what I bought.

Edited by LiteraCola
  • Like 1