SAU Community

Stereo fried

So first off, apologies. This looks like it's mainly a Nissan forum, but when I typed Car Audio Forum Aus, this as the only one to show up.

I have an 07 Camry Grande, which I tried to boost the stereo in. I have alpine type s speakers on order and have an alpine booster 445u from my other car. I tried to install the booster ready for the speakers, and as soon as I plugged back in the head unit there was a crackle and a big puff of smoke from the stereo (I hadn't even turned the car on). Ive followed every wiring diagram I could, and had pre-wired the booster with universal plugs (which worked fine on my car), and am stumped on what could've caused it. I think Camry's have a factory amp, so would that and the booster have fried the stereo? 

Like I said, I'm really stumped as to what could've caused it, but need to work it out so it doesn't fry the next one I try to install.

38 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

What's this booster you speak of? I'd remove that first.

Crazy 1980's tech in-line amplifier. Speaker level into it and "amplified" inside it. Used to be a graphic equaliser and LED display that got bolted under the dash in Datto Stanzas back in 1985.

It's basically an amp, but doesn't require the direct line from the battery. I think the advertised term is a power pack. I had it on my Commodore and it boosted the output of the head deck, and it just ran off the stereo loom. Once I upgraded stereos though, it wasn't needed.

I had another look today, pulled all the dash apart, glove box etc, and haven't found the factory amp others are claiming should be there, so no idea. I have removed the power pack/booster for the time being, but would like to reinstall when the speakers come, as the head unit isn't going to be strong enough to drive them. You have to crank it with the stock speakers to hear anything.

It sounds kind of dumb, I know, but would like to keep the factory stereo. Have looked at facia kits and what not, and due to the center dash design, they look quite ugly, or are cheap eBay brands.