SAU Community

Another spark plug thread ?

trel

Guys, a friend of mine is telling me Motorcraft part number agsp22ye11 for XR6t is a compatible fit for an RB25DET. I've searched and funnily enough in a different thread someone mentions the very same plug but never really went into detail. Subsequent Google searches led me to endless loops of equivalent plugs ? but not much else..

At $40 for a set of 6 iridiums is a steal. Otherwise, the trusty BCP6RE stays. Would be nice to do plugs less frequently though. Thoughts?

Edited by trel

1 hour ago, trel said:

Guys, a friend of mine is telling me Motorcraft part number agsp22ye11 for XR6t is a compatible fit for an RB25DET. I've searched and funnily enough in a different thread someone mentions the very same plug but never really went into detail. Subsequent Google searches led me to endless loops of equivalent plugs ? but not much else..

At $40 for a set of 6 iridiums is a steal. Otherwise, the trusty BCP6RE stays. Would be nice to do plugs less frequently though. Thoughts?

The reason everyone uses copper plugs in RB25's is because the Iridiums and Platinums don't last as long as they are quoted in a modified engine. So you would still have to do frequent plug changes - you will just pay more for them.

Mixed review about those plugs, I've had first hand experience, I would say do not go there.

I know of a workshop that raves about them, so I gave it a go...

They work fine for moderate boost, then I started to wind in the boost on when I decided to tune my car on the dyno and it started to misfire. Initially thought it was the R35 coils, so rammed in about 4ms of dwell and I kept adding till about 4.2ms with 1.3bar of boost (18psi for those who think Fahrenheit is a useful UOM).

I felt a bit defeated with tuning then, Alex (owner of Birrong Automotive) came over with a box of NGK BCPR7ES and said throw those junk plugs out. I gapped the BCPR7ES at 0.6mm and popped them in and surprise surprise no misfire, I ended up dropping the dwell down to 3.0ms and kept adding boost and peaked at 2.1bar of boost, bleeding down to 1.8bar.

Moral of the story, don't bother with them.

• Like 1

Thanks for that input fellas. My setup is very mIld. 15psi, Nistune, Splitfires, yada yada... My gap is on 1.1 with BCPR6ES-11 plugs always come out looking OK. I guess this is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix".

Edited by trel

Wow you ran 6 with 1.1?  I think that's a bit much even at 15psi...  I'm surprised you're not getting knocks...  I would have suggested at least 7 if you are running 1.1, but preferably 0.9.  

plug gap and heat range are completely different and unrelated.

13 minutes ago, TXSquirrel said:

Wow you ran 6 with 1.1?  I think that's a bit much even at 15psi...  I'm surprised you're not getting knocks...  I would have suggested at least 7 if you are running 1.1, but preferably 0.9.  

28 minutes ago, TXSquirrel said:

Wow you ran 6 with 1.1?  I think that's a bit much even at 15psi...  I'm surprised you're not getting knocks...  I would have suggested at least 7 if you are running 1.1

Spark plug gap has no correlation to knock, you can't just reduce the spark plug gap and miraculously increased your knock threshold.

Nothing wrong with my setup. Ran like this for years almost daily driven. It's all in the tune and being sensible. It's also being anal like I am when it comes to maintenance on the car and not fiddling with things that shouldn't be touched.

Edited by trel