SAU Community

Hi I just recently purchased a r33gtr and looking to get it tuned on 98 as I don’t want to go e85 I was hoping for 380kw atw on 98 do you guys thing it’s reliable to achieve this power with these old turbos mod list below

Starting with r33 block, r33 crank with n1 oil pump, eagle rods,wiseco pistons, arp main studs,acl race bearings, tomei 260 deg pon cams, cometic head gasket.

Trust t517z turbos wiyh trust hard pipe kit

Trust race intercooler, hks dump pipes and 3in exhaust

R33 twin synchro box with twin plate clutch.

Sard fuel pump with 720cc injectors and billet fuel rail, Sard fuel pressure reg

Brake vacuum chamber

Apexi power fc with z32 airflow meters

Trust boost controller, and turbo timer

Edited by Berksgtr

For reference, back in 2011 my 33 gtr with a built motor, good head t51r, full fuel system 1000cc injectors, and everything that should go with it was making 422kw on 20psi with 98

before going the full fuel system with surge tank and extra pump and to 4” exhaust, I think we maxed out out at 401 from memory.

Best bet would be to look through the dyno section for something with similar mods to you to get a reference of what to expect.

the end of the day a dyno is just numbers that can be fudged either way. True test of power is 1/4 mile

Thanks for the replies I just bought the car last week I know it’s an old set up I’m be holding the car for a long time and will change things gradually Ben c34 what needs work any recommendations as I don’t know which direction to go thanks

46 minutes ago, Berksgtr said:

Thanks for the replies I just bought the car last week I know it’s an old set up I’m be holding the car for a long time and will change things gradually Ben c34 what needs work any recommendations as I don’t know which direction to go thanks

Immediately just lose the turbo timer so it doesn't give you problems one day. For the rest just try to track down a good tuner and post up the results!

Hang on, so does the car already have that list? Or is that to purchase?

No sane person would buy a power fc new nor those injectors considering the substantially better options available now. . If you already have them it's a different story.

And as above lose the turbo timer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Immediately just lose the turbo timer so it doesn't give you problems one day. For the rest just try to track down a good tuner and post up the results!

Why get rid of the turbo timer? I thought they were a good thing for turbo engines to let them sit for a bit after driving before shutting off the engine.

2 hours ago, nouveau_poor said:

let them sit for a bit after driving before shutting off the engine.

And this is something that you cannot do for yourself? After all, it only needs doing if the car has been working the turbo a bit hard in the last couple of minutes before stopping. It hardly needs to be run to cool down on about 95% of stops.

@Berksgtr It'll get close to 400 rwkw or 380ish awkw on 98. T517 is rated closely to -5s. Unopened 26s have hit that target. It'll just be a tad laggy by todays standards. Will still be good. Gotta start somewhere! Congrats on the car :)

Thanks deza3000 

and Ben the guy I bought it off it was sitting In His garage on a trickle charger for 2 years and was running very rich And misfiring changed plugs and coil packs and tuning this Thursday and bought new rims ?

57155DAF-188E-4088-9C22-842B518984EB.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

And this is something that you cannot do for yourself? After all, it only needs doing if the car has been working the turbo a bit hard in the last couple of minutes before stopping. It hardly needs to be run to cool down on about 95% of stops.

fair enough sure, but why get rid of the timer if he's already got it? The other post sounded like the timer itself would cause an issue.

Can attest to the shittness of turbo timers, I had one in the Skyline as a young pup. Caused all sorts of issues from not starting, to not switching off when the countdown reached 0, to being a parasitic drain on the battery, etc. Even after pulling it out, the loom has been hacked into, there's no making that reliable again. Its one of the reasons I undertook a complete rewire of my car.

Stupid things. Feel embarrassed to have had one. As GTSBoy says, try to think of the last time you boosted your car hard and then switched the engine off. It just doesn't happen, there is always 1 or 2 minutes of sedate driving before you park up that is far more effective than 30 seconds of idling. Superbly ricer modification.

• Like 2