SAU Community

V35 coupe engine swap ?

Hi guys I have a v35 coupe 2004 auto.

I'm looking for a project in the near future, there's a few options I'm thinking of and one of them is engine swapping my v35...

I want to slap another nissan engine in !

I thought a vk45 or a vq30det would be cool.. and yes I know they will be huge projects but that's why they're called projects... I got a few thousand to play with but not moon money if that makes sense ! 

Any ideas/help/ advice on either would be appreciated !

Cheers team

VQ30DET makes no sense. 1. It's older, so you won't get it legal. 2. It's just another bloody VQ engine. Better off just slapping turbos onto the VQ35 you have.

VK makes sense, because V6s are gross, and V8s are not. You should work out the max capacity you can have by the NCOP rules and see if you shouldn't be planning on the largest VK (the 56). I'd suggest it should be feasible, because you can drop LS engines into these things, and they are larger capacity.

If going V8, then smaller/lighter/better makes more sense. Smaller, lighter and better than the VK, I mean. That means LS. I would be looking for an LS2 or LS3 myself. All alloy, narrower, easier to fit. Remember that the VQ you have is a 60° engine. The VK is a 90° engine and its heads are quite wide.

10 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

VQ30DET makes no sense. 1. It's older, so you won't get it legal. 2. It's just another bloody VQ engine. Better off just slapping turbos onto the VQ35 you have.

VK makes sense, because V6s are gross, and V8s are not. You should work out the max capacity you can have by the NCOP rules and see if you shouldn't be planning on the largest VK (the 56). I'd suggest it should be feasible, because you can drop LS engines into these things, and they are larger capacity.

If going V8, then smaller/lighter/better makes more sense. Smaller, lighter and better than the VK, I mean. That means LS. I would be looking for an LS2 or LS3 myself. All alloy, narrower, easier to fit. Remember that the VQ you have is a 60° engine. The VK is a 90° engine and its heads are quite wide.

Cheers mate ! True about the vq30 too... would like to see a vk45 more than an LS I think itll be more cool/different. 

The number of thousands to do any project like this are in the realm of 10,000's, not 1,000's..

Sadly a V35 engine swap (what do you plan to do with the auto gearbox?) is really less feasible than getting something more suited to the task.

1 hour ago, BASHERnissan said:

I think itll be more cool/different. 

bad reason to choose an engine for a swap.

That will always cost more and be more difficult, and not be as cool as you think

VK56 swaps have been done, but I believe they are extremely tight in that engine bay.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/455271-04-coupe-vk56-engine-swap-build-8.html

People tend to go the LS1 route though, easier, stronger, more upgrade options, availability of parts.

12 hours ago, sonicii said:

VK56 swaps have been done, but I believe they are extremely tight in that engine bay.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/455271-04-coupe-vk56-engine-swap-build-8.html

People tend to go the LS1 route though, easier, stronger, more upgrade options, availability of parts.

also seems like a lot of people start the vk** swap and never finish it as I couldn't find many running examples only one I've seen in person is the MCA 370z and that is never going to be a street car again.
If wanting V8 the LS* swap is the way, can even use the CD009 6 speed these days that way really should only need engine mounts. Other thing may be a honda 4 cylinder of some variety pending year to meet emissions but thats a small engine in a barge.