SAU Community

JUN vs HKS cams

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with JUN drop in cams? 
im looking at the 264/272 9.7mm lift drop ins because someone local is selling them for a decent price. How do they compare to their HKS 8.7mm lift counterparts? 

Edited by KN6_GTR
Typo

Isn't the more important question "how do they compare to the even better options available from Australian and NZ cam manufacturers?"

Or the other question, "even amongst those who are wedded to using Jap brand cams, who has used HKS or Jun cams instead of Tomei?"

HKS cams have always seemed completely bizarre to me when I looked into it. If you get their step 1 VCAM going to their smallest cam means the exhaust duration is higher than the intake. They also limit themselves to 8.7mm lift for seemingly no reason, you can go to 9.1mm lift on the cam without clearancing the head or using a smaller base circle cam.

16 hours ago, KN6_GTR said:

im looking at the 264/272 9.7mm lift drop ins

You sure they are drop in ? I have some Camtech RB26 cams for sale now. They are 272 at 9.7mm and they are not usable without relieving the head.

2 minutes ago, BK said:

You sure they are drop in ? I have some Camtech RB26 cams for sale now. They are 272 at 9.7mm and they are not usable without relieving the head.

https://www.junauto.co.jp/products/camshaft/rb26.en.html

I'm guessing the base circle is 30mm instead of 32mm. I don't know that it's wise though, it's explicitly said that it isn't a bolt-on cam.

3 hours ago, BK said:

Their website says they are. I was wondering the same thing. I was under the impression that anything above 9.5 needed machining 

4 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

I don't know that it's wise though, it's explicitly said that it isn't a bolt-on cam.

What isn't wise ? Using a non drop in camshaft ? Clearancing the head is not such a big deal.

Their cams are stupid anyway having so many base circle variations - completely unnecessary, causing custom lifter or retainer thickness changes. No mention of ramp rate duration at 50 thou or lobe separation angles either, so their specs are a bit ambiguous.

1 hour ago, KN6_GTR said:

Their website says they are. I was wondering the same thing. I was under the impression that anything above 9.5 needed machining 

Their website doesn't list them in the "bolt in" option, but also doesn't mention anything special in the notes either about anything. The Camtech 260deg 9.5mm as big of lift I know of that is a confirmed bolt in, no machining. That said, I reckon even some heads would need slight relieving with them, as the RB26 head is not exactly cast to 0.1mm sort of tolerances.

Probably should just stick to Kelfords or Camtech, as you know exactly what you're getting and their local.