SAU Community

R32 Battery Relocation

Riiim6

Hey Guys, 

I've seen quite a few different ways to mount a battery in the trunk but a lot of them involved welding or drilling holes into the chassis itself so I did a little experiment to see if there was a method that was non permanent (at least the battery mounting part).

I started by cutting out a piece of plywood using the trunk carpet as a stencil.7.thumb.jpg.1b9ef9c32dc785d215e1f3a438009d06.jpg

Then I started making a box. Since I didn't have a welder I used two different methods. For one piece I cut out a piece of metal and bent it into a U shape to make the bottom and two of the sides. Then I cut out one side and created a few 90 degree brackets and riveted them to hold one side. The other side I wanted to see if it would be easier to just make another U and rivet that on.

5.thumb.jpg.bd79a3c17b40ef0741a35836fcab7cbe.jpg

After the box was assembled the rest was pretty easy. I drilled holes from the box into the wood, through the carpet to where I wanted to mount it. I also put a layer of foam on the bottom of the wood and countersunk screws to keep the bottom as smooth as possible.

3.thumb.jpg.ee92e75fbc0570f49de5f69123e044aa.jpg

Test fit the battery. (Note: I had to cut the wood in half to get the whole thing into the trunk.)

4.thumb.jpg.3d7c21981af519b99a47586b23a06ce5.jpg

Put a foam sheet at the bottom of the box to protect the bottom of the battery from the hardware sticking up.

8.thumb.jpg.2d0aecdac77e48db61e0a6b31969d7e6.jpg

I'll probably revisit this to make the wood a little more sturdy but here is the end product. (The extra hole was from before I put the foam in, I thought I needed it to feed the wire through lol)

2.thumb.jpg.b8fbb1ea4d6be4c76a5da39c547aeb3a.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.6227bce240cd2a7874ebf3676484667e.jpg

Not my best work putting the box together. I'll definitely re make the box to make it more aesthetically pleasing, maybe paint it.

14 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Good effort - but note the standard you need to meet is something that will securely hold the battery in the event of a roll over.

In that case I might look into the box to the rear tower strut bar with a latch over the top. Thanks for the note.

• 1 month later...