SAU Community

R34 alternator died suddenly

All,

had car for number of years all good. Changed to big turbo and around 650bhp and after 2 days of driving alternator suddenly died

it is much hotter running car so thinking it could have killed it. Very strange no sign and suddenly dead

do they have a relay or something? If i remove battery lead, it dies and don’t charge

checked online and some say it could be relay. Is there relay for alternator ?

looking at high amp ones they are £600 so pricey.

thanks for any advice 

2 hours ago, drifter17a said:

Well not charging do dead for dure ubless there are relay etc

There is dead, and there is dead. What part of the alternator has died? Rectifier? Winding gone open? Dirty commutator?

Diagnose properly, then fix. If this means taking it to a sparky, then do so.

So took it to sparky and he reconditioned it.

he couldn’t get the regulator and after some fafing around he called and said it is ready

So now with full load it is charging at 14 but when rpm is 2k and above. When on idle which is around 800 it doesn’t charge at all with full load charing at 12.7 or less with nonload or full load around 11.5 

belt is as tight as hell so what could be wrong?

Did voltage drop test and negative it is 2.4 volt and positive is 3.4 volt to alternator and i belive more than 2v on positive and 1v on negative means trouble

my battery is in boot so i used jumper lead to extend so not sure if this is playing a role 

i think it is either dirty connection or short circuit somewhere, thought?

5 hours ago, Dil-Dog said:

This is from the states, very good price and i have been using this on my r34 for 8 months now. https://frsport.com/circuit-sports-alt-0v017-al-oe-alternator-nissan-r34-rb25det-neo-r34-rb26dett

I'm using one too, no voltage problems with 3x fuel pumps running albeit 2x are PWM.

Good value.

• Like 1