SAU Community

RB26 Turbo Setup Sound

SnekDoc

12 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

This thread sounds  dumb.

You won't get your answer.

I agree I don’t really expect to but it’s worth a shot. It’s hard to describe what I’m looking for.

To give a better example, here’s the same car with 2 different catbacks made from 2 different materials. They sound very different but both still have the part of the sound I’m looking for.

Edited by SnekDoc

7 hours ago, SnekDoc said:

I agree I don’t really expect to but it’s worth a shot. It’s hard to describe what I’m looking for.

To give a better example, here’s the same car with 2 different catbacks made from 2 different materials. They sound very different but both still have the part of the sound I’m looking for.

So you have contradicted yourself with your reply to my last post lol. I do this for a living (on the side) so I think I'd know. Mufflers & metal make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. 

7 hours ago, cachorro said:

It’s the exhaust manifold. Make sure the runners are equal. You’d need something like a greddy trust or HKS manifold 

But this is also correct.^^^

T3 open housing vs T4 twin scroll both sound very different. 

5 hours ago, Mick_o said:

So you have contradicted yourself with your reply to my last post lol. I do this for a living (on the side) so I think I'd know. Mufflers & metal make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. 

Nothing I said has been contradicted. I said “I don’t think muffler or catback have anything to do with the sound I’m after”. I posted 2 videos with different exhausts with different materials and while overall sounding different, the part of the sound I’m after is present in both.

13 hours ago, cachorro said:

It’s the exhaust manifold. Make sure the runners are equal. You’d need something like a greddy trust or HKS manifold 

That is my instinct but I wasn’t sure. To me it seems similar to how how RBs with twins and an equal length front pipe have a distinct sound at a high RPMs, so I thought it might be related to length of separate exhaust channels before they merge.

• 6 months later...

I've looked into this topic for years my conclusion was its the rear housing on the turbo, the way its machined gives that menacing tone. Manifolds and camshafts play a small part in sound but not enough to give you the sound you're talking about, I know the exhaust note you're looking for and the only turbos I know of produce that sound are the T51R To4Z T78. All these people getting the T51R mod done on their turbos are wasting their time lol, Nothing modern i've come across yet puts out a menacing tone like those old turbos. I have a .61 To4z if you're interested? You don't need a worked 26 to make it spool.

13 hours ago, 26DETT said:

I've looked into this topic for years my conclusion was its the rear housing on the turbo, the way its machined gives that menacing tone. Manifolds and camshafts play a small part in sound but not enough to give you the sound you're talking about, I know the exhaust note you're looking for and the only turbos I know of produce that sound are the T51R To4Z T78. All these people getting the T51R mod done on their turbos are wasting their time lol, Nothing modern i've come across yet puts out a menacing tone like those old turbos. I have a .61 To4z if you're interested? You don't need a worked 26 to make it spool.

That’s interesting because the T51r and T04Z have much different rear housings. 
I ended up going with a GTIII-4r, the new version of the T04Z. Should be up and running next week so I’ll see how it turns out.

WIth twin turbos, the recipe came down to a;

- higher lift cam on the exhaust side - opens up the flow from the head all the way through the turbos then exhaust.

- equal length front pipe - the clashing of the pulses gave a distinct pitch vs non-equal length

- exhaust steel type, mild/SS/titanium would also give a certain flavour.

I changed the front pipe and cat-back from non-equal to equal-length, and SS to titanium, with barely any noticeable difference.  For my application (twin -9 upgrade) the cams bought the noise to life.

My set up retained a hi-flow cat, and a resonator in the cat-back (Amuse titan R1 extra)

Getting some video done on my car in the coming days ill try remember to come back and post here.

Edited by JGTC

I've got -5 twins with HPI dump-pipes into Tomei Expreme Ti with the stepdown removed for a full 3.5" catless system. 

Cams are standard with a ported head and Supertech springs/retainers. It sounds incredible, but very loud. 

Also the mafless Greddy suction kit adds plenty of spool induction sound too. Below video of some spirited driving, sound under load, nothing crazy, just mid-range pulls.

At the end of the day, nothing beats a sound of a big sex spec twin scroll single turbo with twin gates or a big single gate.

A twin setup with any exhaust combination will never sound as sexual as a single.

(this is my opinion and to only be used for entertainment purposes, if you are American sorry I hurt your feelings).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3