SAU Community

Shock absorber spring seat

If it is a stock form spring going into the stock spring seat, but without the rubber insulator, then it will likely be quite a lot noisier. This from the generous contact area of a stock form spring up against the large diaphragm of the perch.

If the spring is lowered & stiffer, that loss of 10mm or so of installed compression may make it just possible for the spring to become non-captive at full droop, which will probably be fine 99.99% of the time but every now and then it is a recipe for disaster.

I hear a knock every now and then when going over kerb to park so think it is the spring not resting on the pad

i am thinking of hooking up the spring compressor and hammer it so spring sits on the pad

is that a bad idea?

2 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

If you have spring compressors, then take the extra 15 minutes to jack the car up and remove the suspension unit. Dismantle it and put it back together properly.

It's only going to take 15 minutes.

You are right

it is a nightmare to get it off though. Will probably do that

2 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

it is a nightmare to get it off though. Will probably do that

I'm not sure what you are talking about. 1 bolt at the bottom. 2 at the top. I can get the front out of my car in about 4 minutes or the back out in slightly longer because the top bolts are harder to reach. And then it just falls out of the car.

• 1 month later...