SAU Community

Telling if my timing belt is worn?

I went to the mechanic to get my timing belt checked out but he told me he would need to remove all of the coves, I asked if he could use a timing gun (I seen someone youtube videos on it to give tell if you if it needs to be changed) its for a boxer engine also. He said the cover needs to be removed, is this true? Also can you judge by this picture on the condition of the belt? Car only has 150km not sure if its genuine and not sure if the belt was done at 100k. I'd assume it was because it would have broke by now? I bought the car at 113km.

20200814_094608.jpg

I wouldn't assume a belt will break within a certain number of k's when going over recommended change interval. that belt looks pretty good to me, not how i would expect one with 150,000 ks on it,  but hey, its your risk not mine. Actually i wold put money on the belt not being changed considering they sold it at 113,000.

is that a photo of your car's belt or random off the net? if it is your car rotate engine over to see markings on the belt to see if it is a genuine belt. if it is results unclear, if it isnt then you know it has been changed.

timing light method makes no sense, and cant see how that would be of any use.

If there is no service history of the belt being done I would do it as seen a lot of subaru. They are easy to do with the right crank tool and 2 small sets of locking pliers.

Edit: All you need is long 10mm socket to remove the timing cover bolts to get that one cover off for inspection

3 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

I wouldn't assume a belt will break within a certain number of k's when going over recommended change interval. that belt looks pretty good to me, not how i would expect one with 150,000 ks on it,  but hey, its your risk not mine. Actually i wold put money on the belt not being changed considering they sold it at 113,000.

is that a photo of your car's belt or random off the net? if it is your car rotate engine over to see markings on the belt to see if it is a genuine belt. if it is results unclear, if it isnt then you know it has been changed.

timing light method makes no sense, and cant see how that would be of any use.

its my car. if i rotate the engine over (the crankshaft pulley i assume) when i turn on the car it doesnt matter what position the crank shaft is in yea? So i'll turn it over and if i dont see any marks (the writing) then its probably old?

Car runs great always had, never had any big issues, only minor stuff like new spark plugs and coil pack 1 wire was bad.

Edited by silviaz

3 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

If there is no service history of the belt being done I would do it as seen a lot of subaru. They are easy to do with the right crank tool and 2 small sets of locking pliers.

Edit: All you need is long 10mm socket to remove the timing cover bolts to get that one cover off for inspection

I'd change all the pulleys and the water pump aswell while im at it. but apprently subarus are more complicated than a normal 4 cylinder inline engine? Messing with the timing scares me lol.

Edited by silviaz

4 minutes ago, silviaz said:

I'd change all the pulleys and the water pump aswell while im at it. but apprently subarus are more complicated than a normal 4 cylinder inline engine? Messing with the timing scares me lol.

Don’t do it then

you don’t change the pullies

• Like 1

Just now, Ben C34 said:

They are the idlers

Ah ok, i was gonna risk the belt until 170km, but if it breaks ill be regretting it haha. ill do what you said  turn over the engine and see if marks are there. surely i can't screw that up lol. just turn the crankshaft bolt  check, then turn on thecar.

2 hours ago, silviaz said:

Ah ok, i was gonna risk the belt until 170km, but if it breaks ill be regretting it haha. ill do what you said  turn over the engine and see if marks are there. surely i can't screw that up lol. just turn the crankshaft bolt  check, then turn on thecar.

if a manual have it in 4th and bump car forwards or backards

18 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

if a manual have it in 4th and bump car forwards or backards

I ended up just quickly cranking my car a few times and saw the writing and marks they don't look too bad except the yellow line which i guess used to be a white line? is faded. what do you think?

20200815_121604.jpg

20200815_121609.jpg

20200815_121644.jpg

That is a Gates belt, which is an aftermarket replacement for the original Subaru belt. Which means it has already been replaced. That belt is not very old.

Depending on your cars build date, the timing belt intervals for Subaru's are 100,000-125,000km. They changed the interval from 100k to 125k around the 06/2006 mark, without changing any of the part numbers used.

The ignition timing on a Subaru is fully electronic and is fixed in the computer. The ignition timing cannot be changed, so a timing light is unnecessary and besides, the belt has been changed, so rest assured.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, silviaz said:

The timing gun method i was referring to this video this guy uses it

That guy is a f**kwit.

As above that is not a standard belt so has been changed.

5 hours ago, White GTS-T said:

That is a Gates belt, which is an aftermarket replacement for the original Subaru belt. Which means it has already been replaced. That belt is not very old.

Depending on your cars build date, the timing belt intervals for Subaru's are 100,000-125,000km. They changed the interval from 100k to 125k around the 06/2006 mark, without changing any of the part numbers used.

The ignition timing on a Subaru is fully electronic and is fixed in the computer. The ignition timing cannot be changed, so a timing light is unnecessary and besides, the belt has been changed, so rest assured.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the indepth info i appreciate it. hopefully i can push it until 200 without breaking it lol.