SAU Community

ATI Super Damper for RB engines

Hi all,

Purchased an RB26 ATI Super Damper 1000HP version (P/N 917753) to suit R33/34 GTR, however I am running it on my RB20. Quality was amazing however when fitting it it really looks strange. The pulleys and inertia weight sit very far forward leaving a large space behind the hub to the lower crank sprocket. Is this normal? There is no part number on the balancer whatsoever and there is no part number on any of the box or documentation that I received. The TDC markings do line up though and obviously the ID of the hub and keyways are correct as I installed it no worries.

Some pics to help explain (sorry for the bad quality)

Thanks

IMG_20200820_095948.jpg

IMG_20200820_095956.jpg

IMG_20200820_100029.jpg

IMG_20200820_100042.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:13 PM, hardsteppa said:

Well its made for rb26 not rb20, so yes normal in that regard. I believe ati say you need to shim the other pulleys to get the belt runners in alignment.

yes but RB20/26 use same lower timing cover. Water pump belt lines up as does alternator, other belts are not used.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, tridentt150v said:

Could you machine the back of it down? looks to be room to do it.

Machining it would put it out of alignment, also not machinging a brand new $1000 balancer lol.

It just seems weird having such a large gap between back of balancer and the timing cover. i know hundreds of people on here run these so thought maybe one person could at least verify for me.

are you positive the bolt is all the way home?

personally, i wouldnt be using that balancer. its not even close. spacing shit out can cause another world problems. if it doesnt sit in the same position as the stock balancer i would sell it and purchase a balancer thats meant for a rb20.

i have a 1000hp ati on my rb26, sits where it should all belts line up perfectly. @iruvyouskyrine sorry mate.

im not sure about rb20s but isnt there suppose to be a shim that goes in front of the timing belt?

also why did you choose the 33/34 pulley and not the 32 one?

i know it 32 balancer is different to 33 as the power steer pump is in a slightly different location (belt alignment wise).

Edited by WantGTR

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

No shim using PRP trigger kit

Because it was in stock and the 32 one wasn't

Not using power steering or aircon anyway so belt location on balancer doesn't matter

I was wondering if that was a prp trigger kit lol

I guess what I'm saying is the 32 and 33/34 balancers from ati have diff part numbers. Unless someone can correct me I guess it is because of the spacing of those accessories that the balancers are in fact different. Cant imagine it being much else?

Are you building the motor yourself? What has the work shop said?

What Brett said. It is just the ps/ac belt alignment and rib layouts which are null and void in my case.

Built motors are for suckers, stock all day. Don't let the nissan out.

Ordering new PRP rear belt guide/shim thing, putting that in and then just calling it a day, it should be fine i think it just looks strange. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...