SAU Community

ADR approves bonnet/hood

There is no such thing, other than the original bonnet.

If you want a carbon fibre bonnet legal, then you would have to get a consulting automotive engineer to sign off on it. That is a very unlikely thing to happen, as the problem with CF bonnets is their crash behaviour is totally different to the crash behaviour of the original (steel or ally) bonnet, and in fact much much worse in that they are really stiff and also tend to fracture with sharp edges instead of crumple. So, unless you go and do some crash testing I would like to suggest that no engineer is going to put his nuts on the line and approve a CF bonnet.

I appreciate your input GTSboy. But I’m well aware another company (blits body kits) make an ADR approved bonnet. 

pretty much looking for someone that’s had one and the paper work to prove it. 

mlr what did you do and how did you go about certification? Also what paperwork did you get? If there was any paperwork to prove it’s been signed off 

1 hour ago, Clk195_R33 said:

I appreciate your input GTSboy. But I’m well aware another company (blits body kits) make an ADR approved bonnet. 

pretty much looking for someone that’s had one and the paper work to prove it. 

mlr what did you do and how did you go about certification? Also what paperwork did you get? If there was any paperwork to prove it’s been signed off 

There was some docs from Blitz, plus some tag/decal under the bonnet IIRC.

I was sceptical until the engineer and the RTA said they were happy.

This was a few years ago now, I would speak to your engineer first, and see what the RTA says about panel modifications now.

I did have flush bonnet pins installed as well, maybe that had something to do with it, maybe????

56 minutes ago, Clk195_R33 said:

Would there be anyway possible to dig up the ADR certificate/email? Or anything ? Haha

The docs went with the car about 10 years ago, it has changed hands several times since I had it.