SAU Community

Get serious with current chassis or upgrade to something newer?

robbo_rb180

Looking for a bit of advice from people who have been racing for a while.

After spending a few days around purpose built race cars, I've been thinking about doing a refresh with my current 180sx race car. It's had a pretty hard time before I got it and has a few big crumpled rails, rust holes and poorly repaired inner guard/rad support and need to rebuild or replace motor. I want to get serious about a proper cage too but is it worth dumping money into this platform with parts starting to get hard to get?

Or just start with something newer and more capable in standard form? Mainly do sprints and hill climbs and would like to do some more door to door racing. 

Even if anyone can point me in the right direction to contact someone who builds/preps race cars for a living as we don't have anyone in North Queensland. 

Most honest comment would be you need to consider what you want to achieve in motorsport.  Big difference between just having a run, and getting in there wanting P1.  By your report, there was a big time difference between you and Paul Morris around Reid Park.  Do you really want to beat him and others?

Talent, current seat time, car spec all part of the mix - as we'd all appreciate. 

High spec car is going to cost proper $$ and effort if you want one built with cage, suspension, brakes, wiring, gearbox and diff.  (Deliberately not talking about engines). And if you want aero, that's part of the initial build/spec planning.

Chassis - there's a reason Toyota 86 is popular.  Look at a bare shell and they are a substantial improvement over an S13.  As you would hope/expect.

Cage - you'd expect between $4-6k as a start, depending on how extensively you want things done (talking at good clubman spec here).  Perhaps best to look at regs of classes and events you'd like to compete in, and build to that (regardless of whether you stay with S chassis or move on). 

Turn key options are attractive, even if it entails making running improvements along the way.  My suggestions would be to at least consider an 86 Cup car, a Clubman, a MARC, and a TA2.

Repairs/re-engineering the S13 is also still a reasonably sound approach.  SEQ is a good 14+ hours run south for you, but there are a number of competent fabricators and engineers with experience to make one work well.  I've got a couple of ideas who may be useful, will send PM on details.

• Like 3

Thank you for the advice. Will look at a few categories. Really looking at building a solid base for sprints and circuit/time attack to a club/state level but if going to build a cage want to make sure it's up to national standards.

Definitely not going to catch guys who have been driving for years in different categorie but don't want to putt around the back for the hell of it. 

Have been told to contact norwell for a driver training day too by a local driver who has done a lot of stuff.

I mean, have a look at WTAC if you want to see what a S13/180 chassis can do. Or a porsche from 1991.

Racing is seat time + budget.

Can never have enough of either! There's no fast and cheap effective option. Some are better than others, sure, an 86 is a better platform than a 1950's Ferrari -  but in anything serious enough it pays to check out the regulations first.

And if there's no regulations then the objective really should be 'smiles' 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

I mean, have a look at WTAC if you want to see what a S13/180 chassis can do. Or a porsche from 1991.

Can never have enough of either! There's no fast and cheap effective option. Some are better than others, sure, an 86 is a better platform than a 1950's Ferrari -  but in anything serious enough it pays to check out the regulations first.

The current car is very capable but always good for a sanity check and others experience. 

Smiles are always had when I drive ?

2 hours ago, mlr said:

The cost of consumables was a big thing for me, my Skyline was expensive, hell, gwarboxes were a consumable item in the end, my MX5 was cheap as chips.

Yeah that's one of the things with this platform now that good gearboxes and motors are hard to find for reasonable prices and some classes don't allow gearbox casing upgrades. This car is actually not too expensive to run maintenance wise as it is. 

So far looked at qld time attack rules and MA regulatory/sprint and qld outlaw racing rules and it's pretty open regards to body, gearbox, suspension, wheel stuff. 

16 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Agreed.

Unlikely that Roger Penske will be contacting any SAU people to come drive for him anytime soon, and even WTAC have regs.

I find that while my 33 requires $$ and effort to prepare and run, it's the enjoyment of actually running it that makes it feel worthwhile.  

There's a whole lot of sense to consider running budget, and it's good to maximise seat time while we can.

Yeah budget a big one. 

Just priced up a rebuild with standard stuff and a forged one. Not too much difference in the scheme of things but that money could be used to go towards something newer. 

Definitely won't be getting any phone calls ?

The effort vs reward thing is big too but I have a lot of free time to look after a car properly. 

• Like 1