SAU Community

RB25 in R31 , tailshaft problem...

turbo1600

i have  a rb25 turbo eng  and turbo gearbox already sitting in a R31.

got a manual r31 tailshaft and a commodore vl turbo front yoke.

after  what everyone says ,  it looks like  the  commodore vl turbo front yoke WILL NOT go onto a R31 manual tailshaft. the vl turbo uni cap is just over 25mm and the r31 uni cap is just under 25mm, theres a differance of nearly 1mm...

any way i can fix this ? to get  vl yoke on r31 manual tailshaft ?

IMG20200908125705.jpg

IMG20200908125820.jpg

The usual thing to do (RB25 box into R32, for example) is to take the front part of the tailshaft that suits the box and the front part of the tailshaft in the car to Hardy Spicer (along with a careful measurement of the required length) and get them cut and shut together.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

The usual thing to do (RB25 box into R32, for example) is to take the front part of the tailshaft that suits the box and the front part of the tailshaft in the car to Hardy Spicer (along with a careful measurement of the required length) and get them cut and shut together.

ok,  the yoke that was supplied  to me isnt a vl turbo one , the caps are nearly the same , and also just noticed  the measurement  inside the  " U "    u part on back of the slip yoke is about 2 cm too narrow.  it slides in back of gearbox but it wont  hold a ruj2030  universal joint.

19 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

If you are in Brisbane, the nice man from Hardy Spicer will come out and measure the car to ensure its the correct measurement. Although I suspect this service is to counteract ,a previous number of arguments, with retards(customers) who can't use a tape measure. The advantage with Hardy Spicer is the new joints are replaceable and larger.

Edited by Rusty Nuts
spelling

3 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

If you are in Brisbane, the nice man from Hardy Spicer will come out and measure the car to ensure its the correct measurement. Although I suspect this service is to counteract ,a previous number of arguments, with retards(customers) who can't use a tape measure. The advantage with Hardy Spicer is the new joints are replaceable and larger.

its not to do with the length , its to do with the fitting of the  yoke,..  this has been soreted as i was supplied incorrect yoke.

No worries, glad its sorted, for future reference most brands of u-joints use the same centre cross in a range of cap sizes, so you can buy 2 u-joints same cross size with caps to suit the two different yoke sizes. Had too do this once with a HR holden, a Supra box and Torana tailshaft.