SAU Community

Just bought a VQ25DET

aYHOtho

Hey Guys,

Been a long time lurker and for the passed 2 years I have been researching the VQ25DET.

I recently came into some money and decided to bite the bullet and buy it.

I plan on putting it into my NV35 skyline, please correct me if I'm wrong, but should this not simply just drop in? My biggest concern is the electrical system, if i replace the ECU, Then my key will not work in the ignition, due to the immobilizer.

It's a shame Scotty hasn't been active for some time, he seemed like a God on the forums.

I will keep you all updated on how the process goes.

Luke

20200911_135615.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know what is required, but I think it is very dangerous territory to start with the assumption that it will just 'drop in'.  Probably better to start with the assumption that this will be a $20k/2 year task and anything less than that is a bonus.

I don't know if anyone on here has done that conversion or a similar conversion, but research, research and research a bit more before you dive into this.  you may need the wiring harness custom made, possibly a custom exhaust and intake.  Will your stock 4sp auto cope or will it need a custom rebuild?  Depending where this engine came from are the engine mounts in the right spot?  will the flexplate from your current car bolt up to this engine?  with the stock cooling system handle the extra heat?  A stock VQ25DET ECU may not talk to the rest of your car, so may need to go with an aftermarket ECU, etc etc etc...

I'm under the assumption that it will "drop in" ( in the sense it will fit, not "plug and play". Sorry, I worded that incorrectly.) as the stagea/skyline share the same platform. The VQ25DET only came in one model car- 2002/2003(?) Stagea 250t.

As I have the NV35, it shares the same 5speed gbox as the Stagea the motor came from.

In my research so far, I have found a guy in Russia that has done it, but let's be real, how safe and reliable is the workmanship? 

I've read that there are 3 computers(?), ecu, gbox and the ATTESA awd?  I've got an autosparky lined up, but as Australia could never import the NV35 and NZ being absolutely flooded with the RWD models. Research for the last 2 years has been hard. The next best thing was America and the G35x....they seem to have used a mix of their OEM VQ35DE engine and VQ25DET parts, using a piggyback ecu.

20k/2 years, I see as reasonable.

ok, so this car isn't a normal grey import?  it is a private import?  as the allowed grey import V35 250GT had a 4sp auto and no AWD.  I should have picked that up with the model code NV35, not just straight V35..

Edited by sonicii

Im in New Zealand. Ive got some fun money, but not private import money, haha.  Nz allowed them, Australia didn't. In saying that, most of the V35 sedans here are 4 speed auto RWD, as you would be used to. So I actually buy stagea parts for it normally, as it has been my daily for the past 4.5 years. 

I was thinking about selling it and just getting a 350gt sedan, but I like the AWD and the tourqe that the VQ25DET has would be perfect for the driving I do.

I know it is a bit late now, but as you mentioned, I am wondering if a VQ35DE might have been a better option, given that is what the G35x has stock and plenty of people have turbo/supercharged the VQ35, so you won't be blazing a trail.

I think i like the rarity, awd turbo, the way it should have been from factory, not in a station wagon. 

I've been pricing up parts, while looking for a cheap daily. As Sonicii said, 2 years minimum. I have to think long term, not park it in the driveway. Found a workshop space for lease, so i will most likely go down that path. 

I was also kind of hoping i could swap out all 3 computers, for Stagea ones. Seeing as all the mechanical parts are the same, just in a sedan body, not a station wagon. So i didn't go too technical with the G35x research, as the computers would be useless.  But going to have to get an aftermarket ECU anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

*update*

I've got workshop space for it, time to plan the move. 

Once it's out of my driveway,  I will be doing more updates, as I can actually get fully into it. 

Luke

20200930_132717.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Both the Skyline and VQ25DET are at the workshop now. I've got Summer off, so a lot more free time. The plan is to replace the engine, loom, ecu and sort out the key immobilizer.  If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

Luke

20201114_131544.jpg

20201114_133129.jpg

• Like 2

Time to start marking what goes where and find out what's missing. Was thinking about taking the aircon out, but as I plan to use  it on the road, not the track and the fact that it is a Premium,  with the dual aircon. I will keep it. I will be swapping stagea front seats in it. I currently have a stagea as mt daily. 

20201115_173225.jpg

20201017_143849.jpg

• Like 2

Just got off the phone to my uncle. He is being sent over to Japan for 3 years, for work.  His son, my cousin, has been there a few years for university. Im going to get them to buy me the missing parts off Yahoo auctions Japan and then send them to me 👍 Unwrapping the engine and seeing the cut loom, has given me ptsd 😂 The engine mounts and gearbox are identical. So I am going to take the gamble and buy a loom, drop the engine and ecu in, plug it in and cross my fingers. 

Out of interest,  seeing  as Australia could never import the 250gt four, is there anything in particular anyone would like to see to cross-reference? It has dual aircon,  electric seats, navigation,  the fancy keyless entry and start( I don't have the fob NZ$440 Nissan NZ), awd and 5 speed automatic and the horrible beige interior. It also seems to have the the 350gt body kit.

20201116_144652.jpg

20201116_144645.jpg

Definitely have a lot of respect for you going down this rabbit hole lol.

Unfortunately these nissans arent like the older s/r chassis where you could put them together like legos and everything would just work. 

The main issues your going to have is Nissan Anti Theft, which is quite an anal system I had issues with it when I manual swapped my v35. 

The ecu requires that it matches up with the key, also if you have the keyless start it wants permission from the tcm as well. 

The tcm part is quite easy to over write, but as far as the ecu part goes that will be tricky (could I suggest a standalone). 

Going a standalone ecu does away with the complexities of the nissan anti theft, hopefully the vq25det has the same pim outs as a 350z so you can get a plug and play ecu.

Are you going to stay auto or manual swap it? 

Chur,

With your manual conversion did you use v35 parts, or 350z parts? I've never had the fancy fob, for the keyless start ( or keyless entry or the outside boot button) Just the key. I am also aware of the chip, inside the key. This exact concern has been in the back of my mind since day one.

As the stagea 250t and the  skyline 250gt four, never came in manual, I will be keeping it auto ( I also have a spare 5 speed auto box). Like I said previously,  im not a drifter or plan on taking it to the track. It will just be my weekend car. 

The days of swapping rb/sr engines and manual conversations  were absolute gold, over here in The Land of the Used Japanese Import 🤣 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Been a busy Summer, traveling NZ. But back at the workshop. I for the life of me, cannot get the old engine out! I've unbolted the gearbox, front driveshaft, front axles, loom and engine mounts. The engine is just not coming out! Have I missed something? 

20210120_200328.jpg

On 11/09/2020 at 6:06 PM, aYHOtho said:

I'm under the assumption that it will "drop in" ( in the sense it will fit, not "plug and play". Sorry, I worded that incorrectly.) as the stagea/skyline share the same platform. The VQ25DET only came in one model car- 2002/2003(?) Stagea 250t.

As I have the NV35, it shares the same 5speed gbox as the Stagea the motor came from.

In my research so far, I have found a guy in Russia that has done it, but let's be real, how safe and reliable is the workmanship? 

I've read that there are 3 computers(?), ecu, gbox and the ATTESA awd?  I've got an autosparky lined up, but as Australia could never import the NV35 and NZ being absolutely flooded with the RWD models. Research for the last 2 years has been hard. The next best thing was America and the G35x....they seem to have used a mix of their OEM VQ35DE engine and VQ25DET parts, using a piggyback ecu.

20k/2 years, I see as reasonable.

Sensing a touch of prejudice... Lol. American?

• 3 weeks later...