SAU Community

R34 Traction Rod Nut stripped

Went to change out my traction rods on the R34 and stripped a god damn nut. Even with soaking the living S**t out of them. They were really stuck on there.

Anyone know where I can get replacements? Autobarn / Supercheap maybe? Want to replace the nut and bolt. Better to just put new in.191260036_tractionnut.thumb.jpg.fedbf94624966e625f3bd235b9dd3954.jpg

• Like 1

The nut is dead easy to replace anywhere. take the bolt to bunnings and screw it in their thingy to check what it is. Grade should be 8.8 (high tensile), but they almost never say this on nut packaging. Buy steel (zinc or cadmium coated) not stainless steel, it is stronger but more brittle

The bolt is very specific, but it looks OK.

For next time. Use a 6 point socket not a 12 point socket on tight bolts. 12 point sockets grab half as much and only exist because they are more convenient to use, not better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all. I followed the help and advice given. Ended up going to Repco and got a replacement nut. Easy fix.

Haven't been able to source a genuine bolt though. Still hunting.

Thanks @Duncan. Went out and got some 6 point sockets to prevent these mishaps in the future. Great advice.