SAU Community

Replacing Old Pod Filter

Just after some advice here

My R33GTST has a "M's K+N" (Only markings on it) Pod filter, that would have to be a number (probably 10 or more) years old

My questions are

What does M's mean? My POD filter seems to be quite hard or more metally than the Cotton Gauze most seem to have these days

Which leads into how do I find a replacement? I've searched high and low for 6" Flanged Clamp on POD filter and find nothing matches the height of mine (13cm), mine seems an inch shorter than anything I find online with most with a 6" Flanges around 16.5 cm high ie RF-1042 and definitely nothing with M's in the product name.

I also struggle to see how I would fit anything higher than 13cm without some major rework

Or am I being over cautious and as long as I wash it now and then and reoil it will last forever even though it looks like its seen better days

Whatever you do, definitely don't post a pic of the filter or its current location, to help with your query...

Having said that, i'd be amazed if you couldn't find anything suitably sized to replace. There's a huge range out there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hardsteppa said:

Whatever you do, definitely don't post a pic of the filter or its current location, to help with your query...

Having said that, i'd be amazed if you couldn't find anything suitably sized to replace. There's a huge range out there.

Not sure if that's being sarcastic or not about the legality of it, I'd happily post a pic if that would help as to your 2nd point I though the same but I have searched and searched and found zero that have a 6" Flange and 13cm height

Well......if you wanted another pod filter the same-ish height, it doesn't need to have the same attachment method as the one you have now. The one you have now has that massive flange bolted to the AFM. Other typical pods have an adapter that bolts the same way, but only has like a 3" or 4" base. Just look at any googled photo of pod filters.

I really want to get the same size, I'd miss that induction noise too much if it was smaller I think

Do think there is any reason I should replace the POD filter?

As long as its in one piece and kind of stops the main stuff getting in it wont be a problem right?

Edited by shakows

2 hours ago, shakows said:

I really want to get the same size, I'd miss that induction noise too much if it was smaller I think

It won't be smaller. It makes no difference how big a flange it is wrapped around. The inlet to the AFM is still only 3".

Pods suck anyway. I would recommend refitting the airbox with a few discrete mods.

I doubt going to a smaller flange size will change anything. It’s still going I’m into the same size hole at the air flow meter.

now if u changed the whole intake pipe size then yes will make a difference in noise