SAU Community

Need Tomei throttle coat ASAP

Adam91

Tomei Throttle Coat will aid with the performance in smooth opening and closing of the butterfly which will increase throttle response. The lubrication properties will also aid by preventing the throttle from sticking and to eliminate rough idling and/or engine stalling. Improved sealing properties and efficient engine operations.
"

if you haven't touched the throttle body in 15+ years this might be a concern but otherwise...

33 minutes ago, Millerman said:

Just go to repco and get rtv or gasket goo 

looks like tomeis stuff is a lubricate for the throttle rather than a sealant

Its supposed to be for sealing the throttle butterfly inside the throttle body. Never heard of anyone needing to use it. Seems like a completely unnecessary product for a problem that doesn't really exist.

And no don't use RTV or gasket goo on your throttle gaskets. Loctite 518, the red stuff that doesn't really set if you need to use anything, not an RTV.

1 hour ago, BK said:

Its supposed to be for sealing the throttle butterfly inside the throttle body. Never heard of anyone needing to use it. Seems like a completely unnecessary product for a problem that doesn't really exist.

And no don't use RTV or gasket goo on your throttle gaskets. Loctite 518, the red stuff that doesn't really set if you need to use anything, not an RTV.

https://www.gtrusablog.com/2020/03/itb-vs-single-throttle-individual.html

DO NOT CLEAN OEM THROTTLE BODIES, unless you have a sealer like Tomei Throttle coat to ensure sealing. If you clean the sticky mess off the inside, once you get it all back together, the idle will be high, with no real way to get it to idle lower.  That is without taking it all apart and adding something to seal up the blade edges.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=673598

Today I removed the entire throttle body and cleaned it again very carefully, only with spray (CRC throttle body cleaner). I took a couple pictures of the backside of the butterfly valve. You can see the black/gray Teflon coating around the edges and the gap between the valve and the inside of the cylinder where daylight shows. I’m fairly certain I had damaged the sacred Teflon coating from the first time I had cleaned it and my throttle body is trash. I put things back together and once again she started right up but with a high idle (around 1700).

I had one more theory to try and that was to back out the throttle stop screw. I did so very very slowly and sure enough the idle came down. I achieved a smooth 850-900 idle after 3/4 of a turn out. I figured if I had damaged the coating then this might allow the valve to close more fully like it used to. I then bypassed the ECU with the ground/ten paperclip trick and adjusted the idle screw on the side to match the previous idle speed (850-900).

So far this seems to have worked for me. I took the car on a 5-10 minute drive and it performed just as before. It falls right down to the low idle when I come to stops. The idle goes up just 150 or so when the AC is turned on. I actually think this may have fixed things for now. I will know more as I drive it more over this weekend. I realize now that I most likely had made a mistake with the initial cleaning and this may not be a perfect fix but so far it seems to work.

Edited by joshuaho96