Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


_Billy_

G'day (Need help deciding car!)

Recommended Posts

Hey All, 

Pretty new to the website (by about 8 minutes), but have always loved Japanese Cars. Really interested in the Tokyo freeway racing scene and also a bit of rally here and there. Need help deciding a low-key first JDM of some sort that is decent, able to be modded and have a lot of fun working on. I originally thought of a Subi Liberty Wagon or the GT model but the 02-08 models seem few and far between and, as I am living at home still for Uni, need to keep it Low-key but would much rather a Rexxie (Rents would kill me) or something of that sort.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and feel free to give me some suggestions

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. BRZ if you want to placate Subaru people.

There's a reason there's 7.7 million of them per square km.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2020 at 10:48 PM, _Billy_ said:

Hey All, 

Pretty new to the website (by about 8 minutes), but have always loved Japanese Cars. Really interested in the Tokyo freeway racing scene and also a bit of rally here and there. Need help deciding a low-key first JDM of some sort that is decent, able to be modded and have a lot of fun working on. I originally thought of a Subi Liberty Wagon or the GT model but the 02-08 models seem few and far between and, as I am living at home still for Uni, need to keep it Low-key but would much rather a Rexxie (Rents would kill me) or something of that sort.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and feel free to give me some suggestions

Questions

1. Budget (car-insurance-rego-spare funds for when stuff break)

2. Is this your only vehicle

3. Do you have an OPAL card (or access to another vehicle or pushbike when it breaks) 

4. Your mechanical aptitude 

5. Work space (garage-carport-driveway-street)

6. Licence type (manual-auto-p plate)

7. Seating capacity and passengers (whislt the 86/brz is a good little package, if you need to put a normal size human in the back they will end up hating you after 10 minutes)

8. Tools

9. Do you have someone to take with you to "inspect" a vehicle

10. Patience (you will require alot)

11. AWD-RWD-FWD preference 

12. Main use of car (street-track-rally-mad skids)

12. The understanding that all the money you drop into a car will not be recouped at sale time

For a first car I always recommend some cheapish stock car you can learn to service and spanner on, and one that after a year or so you can flip if needed and not lose to much cash on

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a first car that he wants to work on?

OP, "Tokyo freeway racing scene and also a bit of rally here and there"

I would look at a some turbo RWD drift type pig, or a Impresa WRX or older EMO.

https://www.hotcars.com/surprising-facts-about-the-japanese-underground-car-scene/

Or a Ferrari......or a Civic......with neons

Or..its-so-cuuuuuute.jpg.029f3e8e7763492c082ade4df9c83f50.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mlr said:

Questions

1. Budget (car-insurance-rego-spare funds for when stuff break)

2. Is this your only vehicle

3. Do you have an OPAL card (or access to another vehicle or pushbike when it breaks) 

4. Your mechanical aptitude 

5. Work space (garage-carport-driveway-street)

6. Licence type (manual-auto-p plate)

7. Seating capacity and passengers (whislt the 86/brz is a good little package, if you need to put a normal size human in the back they will end up hating you after 10 minutes)

8. Tools

9. Do you have someone to take with you to "inspect" a vehicle

10. Patience (you will require alot)

11. AWD-RWD-FWD preference 

12. Main use of car (street-track-rally-mad skids)

12. The understanding that all the money you drop into a car will not be recouped at sale time

For a first car I always recommend some cheapish stock car you can learn to service and spanner on, and one that after a year or so you can flip if needed and not lose to much cash on

This is perfect! We should add this to all 'what car should i get' threads.

Quote

3. Do you have an OPAL card (or access to another vehicle or pushbike when it breaks) 

This is my fave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PranK said:

This is perfect! We should add this to all 'what car should i get' threads.

This is my fave.

When I had my old R33 I spent more time driving hire cars that that old boat.

Track it, break it, fix it, rinse and repeat.

Old Uncle Duncan did warn me about tracking my daily, I was just to stupid to listen.

I do still have all the oil stains to remind me of those days gone by though, and the masive hole in the bank account that the Mrs reminds me of every time I modify my other cars or bikes.

Fun times though

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 8:34 PM, mlr said:

When I had my old R33 I spent more time driving hire cars that that old boat.

Track it, break it, fix it, rinse and repeat.

Old Uncle Duncan did warn me about tracking my daily, I was just to stupid to listen.

I do still have all the oil stains to remind me of those days gone by though, and the masive hole in the bank account that the Mrs reminds me of every time I modify my other cars or bikes.

Fun times though

depends on the car.

i tracked my stock evo x(timed sprints, not proper circuit racing), and it wasnt too bad.

i remeber your car..........anything that moddified, normally gets a few issues.

 

now, to th OP...

if you dont specifically want to drift, and want a fun, practical daily, the mazda 3 mps are a decent hot hatch for a fairly decent price.

as mentioned, the 86/BRZ for rwd shinanigans.

if budget is no issue, go for a 35 gtr or LFA.

WRX and evos are good for a bit of track work and daily duties.

 

either way, when you do grab something, post pics and hit events!

SAU is one of the very few places ive seen who dont care what car you drive, so long as youre into cars.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, mlr said:

Questions

1. Budget (car-insurance-rego-spare funds for when stuff break)

2. Is this your only vehicle

3. Do you have an OPAL card (or access to another vehicle or pushbike when it breaks) 

4. Your mechanical aptitude 

5. Work space (garage-carport-driveway-street)

6. Licence type (manual-auto-p plate)

7. Seating capacity and passengers (whislt the 86/brz is a good little package, if you need to put a normal size human in the back they will end up hating you after 10 minutes)

8. Tools

9. Do you have someone to take with you to "inspect" a vehicle

10. Patience (you will require alot)

11. AWD-RWD-FWD preference 

12. Main use of car (street-track-rally-mad skids)

12. The understanding that all the money you drop into a car will not be recouped at sale time

For a first car I always recommend some cheapish stock car you can learn to service and spanner on, and one that after a year or so you can flip if needed and not lose to much cash on

1: Budget is sitting right around 10k

2: Only vehicle until March

3: Yeah, have a trash-box Volvo I can borrow.

4: Half Decent Mechanical Aptitude but does have some gaps.

5: I Have access to a Car Port but only for a max of a day at a time but normally it will be in a driveway

6: Manual

7: Preferably 4-5 Seats but not a huge problem.

8: Very Large set of tools

9: No particulary, planning on meeting someone in WA who can help me inspect.

10: AWD- RWD preferred.

11: Most likely street

12: Yes, i know how much money I will lose, but to be honest, completely worth every cent.

Overall I have been looking at the Subi Liberty GT Wagon, since the parents won't mind looking at it or a Subi Hatch from 07-12 but unsure which model, due to my lack of knowledge on the Hatch, except that they are "apparently relatively simple" and are a good basis for starting a full time project. Any suggestions would be great, just having to keep in mind that Parents own two Volvos so aren't very keen on anything reliable of sorts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 7:15 PM, PranK said:

Welcome Billy! 

I could suggest a new car every 30 seconds. The others have suggested BRZ's - is that an option?

 

Thanks.

Probably not a BRZ or 86, I do like them, but I would rather stick to something less "sporty" if that makes any sense? I've been in my mates BRZ and I just found it uncomfortable for long drives and long drives being more than 10 minutes. I have heard good things though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option(if you like them) will be the Forrester GT.

They look pretty good with a nice set of wheels and lowered a little.

I haven't had too much to do with the subies, but have heard their gearboxes are a weak point if you go a solid centre clutch.

Good luck with the hunt!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Forester handles like a farm truck, but, they are better for offroading. They do have some potential though.

And for around 10k you should be able to find a sub 200k km Forester that you can make handle for a few grand with some parts.

The Liberty (LOLberty), is a much nicer package all over.

But, for 10k your not going to be able to find a nice manual Liberty.

There is always the Outlander as well.

Me, I would go the Fozzie.

Sadly there is nothing above advertised in WA. 

Subaru manual gearboxes are not really that strong, abuse will kill it.

 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars?q=(And.Price.range(..10000)._.Induction.Turbo._.(C.Make.Subaru._.(Or.Model.Forester._.Model.Impreza._.Model.Liberty._.Model.Outback.))_.GenericGearType.Manual._.(Or.FuelType.Petrol+-+Premium+ULP.))

Lots of inspiration on YouTube from technical 4X4, rally to track

Good luck 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mlr said:

The Forester handles like a farm truck, but, they are better for offroading. They do have some potential though.

And for around 10k you should be able to find a sub 200k km Forester that you can make handle for a few grand with some parts.

The Liberty (LOLberty), is a much nicer package all over.

But, for 10k your not going to be able to find a nice manual Liberty.

There is always the Outlander as well.

Me, I would go the Fozzie.

Sadly there is nothing above advertised in WA. 

Subaru manual gearboxes are not really that strong, abuse will kill it.

 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars?q=(And.Price.range(..10000)._.Induction.Turbo._.(C.Make.Subaru._.(Or.Model.Forester._.Model.Impreza._.Model.Liberty._.Model.Outback.))_.GenericGearType.Manual._.(Or.FuelType.Petrol+-+Premium+ULP.))

Lots of inspiration on YouTube from technical 4X4, rally to track

Good luck 

Thanks for the help. I'm currently debating whether i get myself a Subaru but I have heard about problems with more used and abused motors and i did also hear the Gearboxes have provided some issues for owners. 

I have seen a Liberty manual wagon going for 8k but Unsure whether it is in great mechanical condition.

If worse comes to worse I can just pick myself up a reliable 80 series Landcrusier which are bulletproof and just hold onto it for a year or so and flog it off for a similar price since they hold their value quite well.

Thanks all for the help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, _Billy_ said:

Thanks for the help. I'm currently debating whether i get myself a Subaru but I have heard about problems with more used and abused motors and i did also hear the Gearboxes have provided some issues for owners. 

I have seen a Liberty manual wagon going for 8k but Unsure whether it is in great mechanical condition.

If worse comes to worse I can just pick myself up a reliable 80 series Landcrusier which are bulletproof and just hold onto it for a year or so and flog it off for a similar price since they hold their value quite well.

Thanks all for the help.

hey mate, have you considered a B4 liberty?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...